Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Greylin  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 3:02:29 PM(UTC)
Greylin

Looking for recommendations for a good pair of cheap polarized sunglasses. I'm thinking about getting a pair of the ones I've linked to below but curious what else might be ought there. Also, I've always went with an amber or light brown colored lens and am wondering if you guys prefer other colors for fishing in the driftless.

SUNGAIT Men's HD Polarized Sunglasses
I live in a van down by the river.
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 6:46:59 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 101 post(s)
I've been using cheap(er) sunglasses ever since I dropped a $150 pair into the drink, never to be seen again.

Finding glasses wide enough for my fat head has always been an issue. I've been buying wide frame polarized sunglasses from these guys for awhile now. At $50/pair, it isn't a tragedy if they break or are lost. But the quality is sufficient to last a season or two.

I prefer rectangular wire frames with amber lenses for cloudy or darker conditions. But I keep a pair of dark lens glasses in the car for really bright days. Always good to have a backup, in case this happens:

UserPostedImage

Sad

-Bill

Edited by user Sunday, April 14, 2019 6:47:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
rschmidt  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 8:18:58 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Goto Wal-Mart and buy Yums from their sporting goods section. Polarized and durable - 5$. I buy several per season as they get lost stepped on.

R
s.t.fanatic  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 12:55:26 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I havent used them in a while because I upgraded to a spendy pair. The glasses I use to get were endorsed by Al Lindner. I figured If they were good enough for him they would be good enough for me. They use to be $16 a pair and at that price they were on a level far above others priced much higher. Not sure if they still make them but I would search them out if your looking for an outstanding pair of fishing glasses at a low price. The biggest thing I have noticed with the Costas or Smith glasses is that they are much more comfortable than the cheepies. The clarity is slightly better but not for the price you pay for them.

Found a link but sold out.

https://www.sportsmansgu...sses-brown-lens?a=620155

Edited by user Monday, April 15, 2019 1:03:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gurth  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 1:20:38 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 82 post(s)
My solution is more like Ron’s.

I’m really hard on sunglasses.

Dick’s carries Field & Stream cheapies for $10 a pop. Work great and have become my everyday sunglasses too.

Bought 4 pair over the past couple years and still have 3 of them.

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
weiliwen  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 1:24:15 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 30 post(s)
+1 on the cheap sunglasses side. I go to Walgreens' glasses rack and find a pair of semi-wrap around polarized. I try to find the lightest pair I can find, so I can use them when the sun's not shining brightly, or early evenings.

I'm sure that the quality is not as good as a $150+ pair, but I can go through 10 of the cheap pairs before I've spent as much as an expensive pair.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
OTC_MN  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 5:40:39 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 27 post(s)
OK, I'll deliver the counter-argument. BigGrin

Spring for a pair of good glasses.

This probably comes from having an ophthalmologist as an occasional fishing partner, but I think good glasses are money wisely spent. Not just for quality, but for eye health as well.

Cheap polycarb or plastic lenses lack two things - optical quality and UV protection. Both can have long term health implications.

Cheap glasses with cheap frames and lenses will distort your vision slightly, which causes eye strain. They may look clear, but if you've ever worn them for a day and had 'tired' eyes, that's eye strain from your eyes constantly trying to correct subtle distortions caused by the optical quality of the lenses. Over time, that can lead to lasting eye damage.

UV protection is an even bigger issue. Cheap sunglasses will block UV-A and UV-B spectrum. So will any piece of colored plastic. Higher quality lenses will also block UV-C, which is the part of the UV spectrum that has been shown to cause long term eye damage from prolonged exposure. That exposure is compounded when you're wearing sunglasses. Because they're reducing the amount of light reaching your eyes, your pupils enlarge, letting more UV light hit the backs of your eyes. So in terms of protecting your eyes from harmful UV, cheap sunglasses are actually *worse* than no sunglasses at all. UV-C is the wavelength that causes sunburn, and it does the same thing ot your eyes as it does to your skin. You can put sunscreen on your hands. You can't put it on the inside of your eyeball. Look for glasses that meet ANSI standards, and they'll protect your eyes from UV-C.

Worried about breaking them? Most manufacturers of quality glasses (Smith, Costa, Oceanwaves, Mau Jim, Rayban) have pretty good warranty coverage. If you break them - even if you sit on them - they'll replace them for nominal fee. That won't help if you drop them overboard (I have a pair of Oceanwaves at the bottom of Miles Bay on Lake of the Woods) but that's what keepers are for.

You'll also find that when you drop $120 on a pair of shades, you'll suddenly get much better at keeping track of them than you are with $12 cheapies. (I have 4 pair, and I can tell you exactly where all four of them are. Two in my truck. One on the shelf over my tying bench. One in my daughter's car because the little git pinched them last fall...after she broke her cheap pair fishing smallmouths.)

Seriously. I used to wear cheap sunglasses, and my ophthalmologist friend chewed me out for it, then emailed me some pictures of what eye damage from prolonged sun exposure looks like. That was enough for me.

Invest in a good pair of sunglasses. Yeah, they can be spendy, but it's worth it. They can last you for years, and when you do the math vs. constantly replacing cheap pairs, you'll come out well ahead. When you factor in your eye health - you only get two - it's a no-brainer.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
thanks 1 user thanked OTC_MN for this useful post.
Gurth on 4/15/2019(UTC)
Gurth  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 5:54:13 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 82 post(s)
The more you know...

Thanks for sharing this info.

I'll have to give it some serious thought as I fish over 150 days per year when you include boat(yak) and ice fishing.

And my eyes are getting worse over time, not better.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Life of Riley  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 6:11:40 PM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Go to steep and cheap and look at costas there, lots of good deals. Quality optics are well worth it in my opinion. I'm going to try the copper lenses, I've heard they're the best all around. Costa has both glass and polycarbonate lenses. The difference as explained to me is that poly lenses are lighter, slightly cheaper, and scratch easier. Glass has better optical quality but has more weight.
s.t.fanatic  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 6:34:13 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I can say that when I got my $200 Costas I knew where they were at all times. They are on their 7th season and desperately need to be replaced. My next pair will be Smith Guides Choice ($249) techlite glass with the polarchromic lenses that brighten and dim on light levels. They are actually lighter than igniter lenses in low light which are the lightest shade you can get in a polarized lens.