Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AussieFisho  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:06:18 PM(UTC)
AussieFisho

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So I'm heading off to Madison for the long weekend a break and planning on doing some fishing from shore. Are there any particular spots on the lakes (Mendota/Monona/others?) I like moving around a bit and casting lures so are lakes good for that or am I better heading to flowing water?

I went on my first US fishing outing a few weekends ago and geez it was a bit of a steep learning curve!

I went to the nearby Kletzsch Park (planning to get steelhead) and had my spinner in hand, rigged up a float and drift fished a yarn ball without any luck. Caught stuff all but there was definitely fish around as I could see them up from bridge crossing. Even cast off the bridge and watched the float and ball drift right past with no action Razz Then I went and spoons and hard-body lures into some other streams and caught what I think are called suckers around here (carp?).

Anyway is there a preference for different techniques in still water vs flowing water? Should I be using bait when I'm on the lakes?
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:44:49 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 167 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Inland game fishing doesn’t open till May 4th so you can only go for panfish on the madison chain. You could shore fish the Wisconsin river but I’m guessing it’s over the banks and up in the woods right now.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
madguy30  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2019 5:26:35 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
What Gurth said re: game fish. Casting lures can get you a hefty fine.

WI River is way up.

The Pecatonica River in SW WI is open all year for most species but it's tricky to fish to begin with and is probably up a lot as well.
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2019 5:47:27 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

I was thinking the Yahara would be open now, but it's not.

Glad I checked although I wouldn't be able to get there till after the opener anyway.

Trout fishing is probably your best bet OP.

Edited by user Thursday, April 18, 2019 6:49:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AussieFisho  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:55:20 PM(UTC)
AussieFisho

United States

I had a look at on the DNR site and it says that the inland early trout season pdf says that all streams are open in Dane county?
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic...ons/TroutEarlySeason.pdf

When you say trout is my best bet, is that in the chain lakes??
shebs  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2019 1:07:07 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
No trout in the Madison lakes - look in the streams to the west/south.

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic...Dane_color_landscape.pdf
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Gurth  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2019 1:17:02 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

This map shows all of the trout water including most easements:

Trout Streams
ilikefood  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2019 12:18:02 PM(UTC)
ilikefood

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
AussieFisho,

Make sure you purchase a Wisconsin fishing license and a trout stamp if you intend to fish for trout. As mentioned, the inland game fishing season is closed and you cannot fish for many species (such as bass, northern, walleye, musky, etc.). Fishing with large lures and spinners will likely get you fined by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR). Fishing for panfish (sunfish, perch, crappie, bluegill) is open, but you will usually fish for them with different lures and baits than the closed game fish.

Since you are new to fishing in Wisconsin, I highly recommend that you read the fishing regulations, which can be found here:

https://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/fh/fh0301.pdf

If you have any intention of trout fishing, please buy the trout stamp (you will get fined without it) and read the trout fishing regulations, which can be found here:

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic...outRegsFull1920Press.pdf

The trout fishing regulations are also useful because they show you which streams likely hold trout (the regulated streams classified by the colors green, yellow, and red). If you know you will be near Madison, check out the areas around Madison, find a stream that looks interesting, and go fish it. The red colored streams have special regulations and sometimes these regulations are meant to help a stream produce bigger trout (but not always). Find a stream in the Trout Regulations and then check it out on Google Maps/Google Earth. Once you fish a few streams, you will get better at reading and understanding the Google Maps/Google Earth, such as what stream color means in the aerial photography to what you see on the ground and what you catch.

If you intend to fish a lot of lakes, consider buying a solo canoe or fishing kayak to explore the waters better. This will open up a lot of good fishing in Wisconsin as it can be difficult to fish from shore exclusively.

There is a learning curve to fishing and understanding the regulations. Please ask us questions or ask the DNR questions. Everyone is willing to help you out and enjoy the wonderful fishing opportunities you have in Wisconsin.

Good luck and keep us updated on your adventures!

David
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
thanks 4 users thanked ilikefood for this useful post.
Gurth on 4/19/2019(UTC), weiliwen on 4/19/2019(UTC), stan b on 4/20/2019(UTC), William Schlafer on 4/20/2019(UTC)
AussieFisho  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2019 1:44:57 AM(UTC)
AussieFisho

United States

Ah ok thanks for the info guys. Had a read of the regulations and it makes a bit more sense now. Shall wait a couple of weeks but will have a go at the trout streams in the meantime! I got myself an inland and Great Lakes stamps so I'm all set on that frontThumpUp