Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AussieFisho  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 12:27:49 AM(UTC)
AussieFisho

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So I got out onto the Menonmonee River this afternoon and came across a small school of trout near the bank. They were chasing each other and following each other as I threw out my line. I had a small in-line spinner on and a few nervous casts later I presented it right in front of a big trout. Nothing. Did a few more casts and it came right in front and nothing. So I changed out the lure for a hard body lure, did the same thing and cast in front and nada, no action other than maybe a one or two inquisitive follows but no striking. Ok so maybe this time I'll try a little yarn ball covered in some trout scent stuff that a local fishing shop suggested. Had it drifting off a float and this literally came right next to a couple of trouts and absolutely zilch!!!

Is this just the fickle nature of trout? Is it the time of day when they're just not hungry? Or am I more likely to get action using eggs (which should be ok as it's a year round tributary?).
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 1:13:15 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 190 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AussieFisho Go to Quoted Post
So I got out onto the Menonmonee River this afternoon and came across a small school of trout near the bank. They were chasing each other and following each other as I threw out my line. I had a small in-line spinner on and a few nervous casts later I presented it right in front of a big trout. Nothing. Did a few more casts and it came right in front and nothing. So I changed out the lure for a hard body lure, did the same thing and cast in front and nada, no action other than maybe a one or two inquisitive follows but no striking. Ok so maybe this time I'll try a little yarn ball covered in some trout scent stuff that a local fishing shop suggested. Had it drifting off a float and this literally came right next to a couple of trouts and absolutely zilch!!!

Is this just the fickle nature of trout? Is it the time of day when they're just not hungry? Or am I more likely to get action using eggs (which should be ok as it's a year round tributary?).

Welcome to the wonderful and weird world of Trout fishing.

Smile

Sight fishing for Trout is a iffy thing. Generally on streams and smaller rivers, the Trout you see lounging on the bottom of a pool or deep run are there to rest, and not feed. You might be able to get one or two of those to take your lure, but generally for inland Trout, this simply doesn't work well. Rising fish usually indicate active feeding, but the approach is critical, and you usually only get one chance with those.

Cast to holding spots, cover, undercut banks or other possible hiding spots next to moving water and you'll be more likely to find active feeding fish. There are lots of books on how to read water and plenty of instructional videos on YouTube.

Watch some of Ron's videos to get an idea of how to read the water and find Trout. He's the master with a spin rod and as his video attests, he can really catch em.

Good luck.
-Bill

Edit: also consider hiring a guide. They can give you lots of insight and instruction to get you on the fish. Plus they have better local knowledge of streams, rivers and lakes than most.

Edited by user Monday, April 22, 2019 1:14:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
rschmidt on 4/23/2019(UTC)
cschub13  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 1:55:38 AM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Judging by your location and the river you mentioned, I assume you are referring to not just any trout, but lake-run steelhead and brown trout. Not only are these fish notorious for being difficult to catch in the first place, but the ones you saw very likely saw you as well. It was a bright sunny weekend here in the Milwaukee area, and those fish don't get huge by accident. It is pretty late in the run, but they may have also been actively spawning based off your description of their actions. That can also be a tricky time to get the fish to eat/attack if they have other things on their mind.

Were you wading or on the bank? It can be very difficult to sneak up on these fish without them seeing you before you see them. As mentioned, it's pretty late in the run down here so there won't be fish in the river much longer. I'd say definitely give it another shot, if the fish you saw were spawning then there is a chance they will still be there if you get back within a day or two.
AussieFisho  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 3:18:00 AM(UTC)
AussieFisho

United States

Yep I'll definitely give it another go for next couple of days. I was pretty surprised too to see so many (~6-8) and they seemed fairly large in the one spot. I was fishing from the bank and only maybe only about 30ft away from them. Not sure if they saw me but they didn't seem to notice me since they stayed for as long as I was there (~30mins). Different to another one earlier on where it saw me from 100ft away and I was not even close to the bank and it dashed off.

I will this time work my way upstream as mentioned in another thread so I'm approaching from behind.
billybigbilly  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 4:14:16 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Cast to holding spots, cover, undercut banks or other possible hiding spots next to moving water and you'll be more likely to find active feeding fish. There are lots of books on how to read water and plenty of instructional videos on YouTube.

Watch some of Ron's videos to get an idea of how to read the water and find Trout. He's the master with a spin rod and as his video attests, he can really catch em.
The above two lines are from Bill, idk where the quote bubble went! Laugh

I can attest to watching Ron's videos as being very helpful. I have tried my best to emulate his tactics and form them to the types of stream I fish and it has been working.

Edited by user Monday, April 22, 2019 4:16:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked billybigbilly for this useful post.
rschmidt on 4/23/2019(UTC)
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 12:43:06 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Yeah you weren’t really trout fishing in the sense of what most of us are discussing on this site most of the time.

Lake run fish are a whole different game and my trout fishing experience meant nothing when I tried to apply it to those fish in that environment.

Maybe some of the guys who are successful at it will chime in.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Pete  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 1:00:30 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
It sure sounds as if you found steelhead in the act of spawning. As others have already pointed out, it's a very different game than fishing for resident trout. When you encounter a pod of fish as you described, observe them for awhile. There will likely be a breeding pair depositing eggs and milt. Also a scoured out redd (nest) may be noticeable. Leave the breeding pair alone: if the female is harassed to the point of leaving, the males will have no point in sticking around. But the males hanging out behind the redd are often willing biters. They're probably annoyed and aggressive over having lost out on the female. A spinner is usually a pretty good choice when pursuing them. Swing it slowly in front of them; if you hook one, try to get it away from the group as quickly as possible. After you've brought it to hand, go to work on the other males in the same group.
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 3:44:10 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Those are Steelhead. If you’d like to catch them, I’d go on a cloudy day, and I’d drift a yarn fly through a deep hole. You can sight fish them, but it’s very, very difficult. Good luck.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
AussieFisho  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 11:55:14 PM(UTC)
AussieFisho

United States

Thanks for all the tips guys! So I went out again today to try my luck and see how I'd go.

First stop was at the same stop as where I saw the pod yesterday. They weren't there so I couldn't try any of your tips Pete and I ventured all the way downstream to work my way back up to the top and maybe see the pod later in the afternoon.

After throwing a dozen or so casts at my first spot I snagged an old backpack which meant I had to take my boots off and venture in to unsnag it while an old guy looked on (and probably laughing).

Little bit further up I threw in to some nice flowing water, a little deep and just enough to see some rocks and boulders at the bottom. After the 5th or 6th cast, BOOM this trout (probably steelhead as you guys reckon) came out of nowhere and swallowed my spinner and proceeded to dart downstream and go crazy all over the place. It jumped into the air, landed and then bolted towards an overhanging branch and wrapped my line around it! My adrenaline is absolutely pumping by now and I'm terrified my braid is going to snap. It's jumped a few more times and line is zinging off the reel. What a rush!!! Fortunately it turned around and the line freed itself but now it's slack and now I'm trying to keep the line taught. It's still jumping and I've finally got some pressure on it. A few moments later, PING! and my spinner is out of the trout's mouth and flying back towards me.

I have never been so disappointed in my life. I was so so stoked to see that fish in action, doing acrobatics out of the water but geez that turned so quickly once I dropped it. For the rest of the day didn't see any more action and I'm still kicking myself. Ahhhh fishing heyLaugh
cschub13  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 12:24:11 AM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Thanks for all the tips guys! So I went out again today to try my luck and see how I'd go.

First stop was at the same stop as where I saw the pod yesterday. They weren't there so I couldn't try any of your tips Pete and I ventured all the way downstream to work my way back up to the top and maybe see the pod later in the afternoon.

After throwing a dozen or so casts at my first spot I snagged an old backpack which meant I had to take my boots off and venture in to unsnag it while an old guy looked on (and probably laughing).

Little bit further up I threw in to some nice flowing water, a little deep and just enough to see some rocks and boulders at the bottom. After the 5th or 6th cast, BOOM this trout (probably steelhead as you guys reckon) came out of nowhere and swallowed my spinner and proceeded to dart downstream and go crazy all over the place. It jumped into the air, landed and then bolted towards an overhanging branch and wrapped my line around it! My adrenaline is absolutely pumping by now and I'm terrified my braid is going to snap. It's jumped a few more times and line is zinging off the reel. What a rush!!! Fortunately it turned around and the line freed itself but now it's slack and now I'm trying to keep the line taught. It's still jumping and I've finally got some pressure on it. A few moments later, PING! and my spinner is out of the trout's mouth and flying back towards me.

I have never been so disappointed in my life. I was so so stoked to see that fish in action, doing acrobatics out of the water but geez that turned so quickly once I dropped it. For the rest of the day didn't see any more action and I'm still kicking myself. Ahhhh fishing heyLaugh

Sounds like a typical steelhead story! Those fish are absolute heart-breakers! Glad to hear you were able to hook into one, but now you've got a taste and it changes everything. Hope you're able to get back out before it's all over. I might have to give it one last go this Spring myself!