Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shebs  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:03:14 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
That's how people get addicted to steelheading! When you see old guys trudging thru waist deep snow and braving single digit temps in mid march, that's why!
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
NBrevitz  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:07:04 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Steelhead tend to do that... Now you’re hooked! You now will be thrown down the rabbit hole of $300 rods, driving 8 hours on the myth of a run, sleeping in the back of your car...

It’s all worth it, I think...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
AussieFisho  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:39:43 AM(UTC)
AussieFisho

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Haha yeah it was one hell of a ride and I'm definitely keen to go again and try and hunt another one down. I'm headed back home to Oz in September so want to make the most of it before it's all over! Will I find them in streams or will they be mostly out in the lakes by May?

Can't believe the old timers going out in the cold, I'm definitely not that keen to get one even after today! I figured out quick smart why you guys here use waders, it's because the water is flipping cold! I'd get myself a set but I wouldn't have a use for it back home because if you wade in the water, you're pretty much walking dinner for crocs...
shebs  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:53:31 AM(UTC)
shebs

They'll be in the lake superior streams (nw wisco) well into may with the late spring this year, but if you stop seeing fish in that river, just move north up the lake shore
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
AussieFisho  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 2:40:21 AM(UTC)
AussieFisho

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
They'll be in the lake superior streams (nw wisco) well into may with the late spring this year, but if you stop seeing fish in that river, just move north up the lake shore

Do you mean if I don't see any more in the current one I'm fishing (Menomonee River), head up further north along Lake Michigan shore streams?

Where I was today was about 8 miles upstream from Lake Michigan, is that normal to see them in that far? I guess it is going by the DNR map, it's only a third of the way in of what's marked on the site.

Wife and I are keen to do a road trip to Minneapolis so I might just have to make sure we do a detour and see Lake Superior BigGrin
shebs  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:28:53 AM(UTC)
shebs

Yeah, move to the next river up if you need to. But rainbow trout ('steelhead') are native to the Pacific northwest - they're known to go hundreds of miles upriver to find good spawning ground. 8 miles is nothing haha

Moving upstream works, until you find a dam or a waterfall, or some other barrier - but heading north to another river system works too. There are steelhead all the way up to, and past, green bay. Their spawning is triggered by water temperatures, so heading even 20 or 30 miles north can make a difference of a week or more on run timing. Having a stream thermometer is useful if you're really trying to get scientific about it.

There is literally a legendary steelhead run on the bois brule in northern Wisconsin - and it's all wild fish (The lake Michigan ones are stocked fish attempting to spawn, but the water is too warm in the summer for their eggs/fry to actually survive 99.9% of the time)

The bois brule is not at all on your way if you're heading to Minneapolis...but no matter what route you take to Minneapolis, you'll pass by some amazing trout water on your way. And the brule state forest land is a fucking beautiful place that is well worth the drive even if you're not there to fish. The run normally peaks in April, but with the deep snow this year (which is just now finally gone), and current high water, it's no where close to fishable yet. Couple weeks yet, assuming no more rain. The brule is running about 6 times it's normal flow right now, so wait for it to come down before you even try that.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:43:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified