Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hougie  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 2:40:59 AM(UTC)
hougie

Man
United States
Location: I split time between the twin cities and Onalaska, Wisconsin

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Will be my first time with my first fly rod ever Fenwick Aetos 8’4 4wt. I’m going to probably be in timber coulee looking forward to starting this new journey will post pics if I get a few.
Not sure which flies I will be trying but will use as many different ones as I can. Will start off with the pink squirrel and maybe a few buggers or coppers or princes.
May try a few spots east of esofea as well.

Edited by user Friday, April 26, 2019 2:44:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 12:16:45 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Those all should work! I'd include a few dries - the trout are definitely looking up these days. I caught half of mine last weekend on a #16 Humpie, green body. Good luck.

Before you head out, look at the DNR trout maps for other places to fish as well; Timber Coulee gets a lot of pressure, sometimes semi-difficult to find a spot to fish.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 1:06:46 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post

Before you head out, look at the DNR trout maps for other places to fish as well; Timber Coulee gets a lot of pressure, sometimes semi-difficult to find a spot to fish.

Ditto!

Any of the tribs off the Kickapoo or the Bad Axe Rivers should be hopping right now. Caddis and BWO hatches have been reported once the sun warms things up. Otherwise bead heads and nymphs trolled deep. If the water has a stain, give larger dark colored streamers a try. Bigger Trout will react to those if they feel relaxed enough to come out of their hiding spots.

Good luck. Wish I was there. This is one of the best time of the year to fish for Driftless Trout.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
hougie  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 1:39:07 PM(UTC)
hougie

Man
United States

I may try over by Duck Egg. Being from Coon Valley and having a friend while growing up who lived in Timber Coulee I know it better than most. ThumpUp
hougie  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 1:16:53 AM(UTC)
hougie

Man
United States

Fantastic day fishing today was surprised how many anglers I saw out there today for a Friday. Landed a few browns got the hang of my fenwick pretty quickly and how to get trout to flash at my nymphs. With the bright sunlight you could really see them especially early on the day and over the noon hour. The bite slowed down a bit in the afternoon. But i fished several hours and got lots of sun. Glad I have a 4wt rod because the wind was a challenge! Caught fish on a green wooly bugger, the pink squirrel and a stone fly imitation nymph. Will post pics soon.
hougie  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 1:44:29 PM(UTC)
hougie

Man
United States

William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 4:27:06 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Those are some healthy looking Trout Hougie.

4W is a good choice for most DA streams. Enough beef to turn a larger Trout and cast in the wind, but enough feel to nymph and still be able to cast dries when called for. I've found an 8 foot rod is long enough to cast for distance when called for, but short enough to get down and under tree branches or other obstacles. I keep a 3W 7 footer in the trunk for special occasions, but I rarely use it.

Always a good idea to have a plan B, C, D, etc.. when fishing the weekends. But usually a short drive will let you find a open spot. There are so many great streams available within a short drive of Viroqua. The season opening in January really takes the pressure off this time of year. The harvest opener is not as big a deal as it was in the past and has helped spread out the fishing pressure throughout the spring.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos