Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark Dahlquist  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 3:01:01 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 24 post(s)
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

OK back in the game here. Been doing a bunch of trout fishing. I now realize it's so much harder now to share on DTA doing this copy/paste image code crap from imjur but that's OK.

So many tiny trout. I could share photos but really so sad but positive (young of the year). The size of match boxes. Very happy to be out and see all these hungry trout at least. Gosh things are just not like they used to be. 2009-2015 was insanely good around here. Now it's just OK. I did not spot any big trout.

The other cool thing is I dropped in on the landowner and asked permission and he was happy that I did! Really he says so many people just help themselves. He has cattle (like so many do) and mentioned how upset he got by fishermen that trample on his wires and mess things up. I don't blame him. This place is beautiful and a priveledge to fish so please ASK the landowner and be respectful to fences. Do in advance or over the phone or best yet in person if you can catch them. Don't just help yourself.

Edited by user Saturday, April 27, 2019 3:05:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Mark Dahlquist for this useful post.
weiliwen on 4/27/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 3:17:37 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 46 post(s)
I agree - it's really not hard to walk up to a door and ask permission, and the landowners always seem pleased you did so. I've never been refused, even when others have told me "That guy's a cantankerous so and so, you'll never get permission."
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Jumpsuit  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 3:59:28 PM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
That limestone shelf pool in the last picture looks so inviting, Nice pics !
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 4:12:31 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 159 post(s)
That's a great looking stream Mark. All Trout streams have their ups and downs. A couple of my favorites have declined also in the last two years, but I'm sure they will eventually bounce back, as will yours.

There's a couple extra steps using PostImage (or similar image hosting sites) but it has worked well so far. I would recommend resizing your photos before you upload them to PostImage to save bandwidth and make the upload quicker. Not sure what the limit is on PostImage for uploads, but I have a ton of stuff up there and it hasn't balked yet.

I agree that it's always good to make contact with landowners, let them know your intentions: where you will enter and exit, where you will park, and how long you intend to fish. You can gain a lot of good will by reporting downed fences or escaped livestock.

I've been batting about 50-50 when asking permission. There are some red flags though. I never bother with anyone who has no trespassing signs up, or has a chained up dog in the front yard, or who generally has an unkempt property. Leave your vehicle on the roadway and walk up. If you harvest fish, offer some to the landowner.

Most folks are really friendly and glad to have you. Sometimes, getting permission to fish one property can get you an in with a neighbor. In the past I've dropped cards in mailboxes of landowners who've provided easements to thank them for providing access.

Always good to engender good relations with landowners to offset those bozos out there who trespass, damage fences or otherwise try and mess things up for the rest of us.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
mmalyuk  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 9:26:52 PM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Great scenery Mark!