Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Punmaster  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 8:06:18 PM(UTC)
Punmaster

Throughout my first year last year of fly fishing, it seems all the streams near me are just to small to make it enjoyable with a fly rod. If anyone has any expertise in the area it would be much appreciated. I am willing to travel about a half an hour in any direction. Thanks all
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 9:18:39 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 33 post(s)
There's the Mississippi, that should be big enough. Not a lot of trout on it, but you could fly fish for warm water fish along its shores.

Most Driftless Area trout streams in your area are not large, but they are, for me, certainly large enough for me to enjoy with a fly rod; in fact, I fly fish Driftless streams just about exclusively. Within 90 minutes at least into Wisconsin is what I consider some of the best fly fishing in the country.

Go to the Wisconsin DNR page and query "Trout Maps." You'll find every stream that has trout on it for every county in the state; start with Vernon, I guess. There are enough streams in Vernon to last a lifetime, and there are many other counties with great trout fishing farther afield.

If you're talking stream fly fishing for musky, pike, other warm water species, others will have to help you.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
Punmaster on 4/27/2019(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 11:12:22 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Punmaster Go to Quoted Post
Throughout my first year last year of fly fishing, it seems all the streams near me are just to small to make it enjoyable with a fly rod. If anyone has any expertise in the area it would be much appreciated. I am willing to travel about a half an hour in any direction. Thanks all

I’d get on google earth with another computer tab open with the DNR Trout Maps. Or better yet, have those Trout maps open next to you on the table.

As for the travel distance, you’ll generally find better fishing when you get away from large metropolitan areas. I’ll drive 5 hours one way to Salmon fish for a day if the run is hot.

Timber Coulee, Coon Creek, La Crosse, W Fk Kickapoo, you’ve got lots of great water to explore. There’s some great Brook Trout water to the north, but you’re gonna have to put the leg work in to find it.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
Punmaster on 4/27/2019(UTC)
madguy30  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2019 2:45:59 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Use a shorter leader and learn the roll cast.

I once felt the same way about most trout water and totally changed over time.
EddieRivard  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2019 2:52:34 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 15 post(s)

What is it about smaller streams that inhibits your ability to enjoy fishing them with the fly rod? It seems as though there are at least a dozen fly fishable streams within 30 minutes of Lacrosse. Have you ever tried Coon Creek? Sorry if I just let the cat out of the bag on someone's secret stream. ThumpUp
trapper  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2019 7:26:14 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Come to trapfest and I will give you some casting lessons.
Spend a day with a guide.
Get Reel
thanks 1 user thanked trapper for this useful post.
weiliwen on 4/28/2019(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 2:15:33 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Little La Crosse. I'm told some tanks around. Low numbers thing maybe.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 2:33:07 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 106 post(s)
I always enjoy those fishing shows where the host is standing in a 100 yard wide raging river and says: "Today were fishing this small Montana stream..."

RollEyes

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
madguy30  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 2:52:03 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
I always enjoy those fishing shows where the host is standing in a 100 yard wide raging river and says: "Today were fishing this small Montana stream..."

RollEyes

-Bill

Yeah and many, many places including bigger streams require adjustment to casting since fish tend to be along the banks in slower water.
WI-fly  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 7:34:19 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 20 post(s)

I fish La Crosse County a lot and love it. Hit me up at curtrees@gmail.com if you want to learn more. Plenty of publicly accessible water and not a lot of pressure.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram