Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AussieFisho  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2019 6:43:39 PM(UTC)
AussieFisho

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So shebs gave me the heads up on Bois Brule and after looking it up it seems pretty interesting area. Since we're heading off to the Minneapolis this weekend, I'm going make a detour via the Bois Brule to see how my luck goes. Has anyone got any tips there?

I had a look at USGS and the water level is dropping to around low 200s CFS by the weekend, which seems reasonable but might be a bit faster than ideal going by some of my reading.

Would you go upstream or downstream of Highway 2? I see there's a bit of private property upstream of Highway 2 but there's a couple of public access points around bridges. I might check them out and then venture downstream towards the campgrounds.

Anyone out that way that might want to meet up and make a day (Saturday) out of it?
Sponsor
NBrevitz  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2019 9:00:36 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AussieFisho Go to Quoted Post
So shebs gave me the heads up on Bois Brule and after looking it up it seems pretty interesting area. Since we're heading off to the Minneapolis this weekend, I'm going make a detour via the Bois Brule to see how my luck goes. Has anyone got any tips there?

I had a look at USGS and the water level is dropping to around low 200s CFS by the weekend, which seems reasonable but might be a bit faster than ideal going by some of my reading.

Would you go upstream or downstream of Highway 2? I see there's a bit of private property upstream of Highway 2 but there's a couple of public access points around bridges. I might check them out and then venture downstream towards the campgrounds.

Anyone out that way that might want to meet up and make a day (Saturday) out of it?

The fish have been in for a while, so I’d look right above or below Hwy 2.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
mmalyuk  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2019 9:43:07 PM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Keep an eye on the USGS gauge...you might have your hands full after today and tonight's rain.
AussieFisho  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:09:11 PM(UTC)
AussieFisho

United States

Hmmmm true I forgot to look at the weather forecast! I'll definitely keep an eye on the levels, fingers crossed it doesn't go up much...
EddieRivard  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 1:03:49 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AussieFisho Go to Quoted Post
So shebs gave me the heads up on Bois Brule quote]

Angry
I done told Shebs to keep the Bois Brule a secret. Now he's treating it like the village bicycle.

Don't trust Shebs.

Edited by user Thursday, May 9, 2019 1:24:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shebs  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 1:23:25 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
It IS the village bicycle LOL
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
AussieFisho  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 1:44:23 AM(UTC)
AussieFisho

United States

Haha well I'm reading plenty of people getting zilch out of the river before too so I'm not getting my hopes up. Anyway this shebs fella sounds like an alright bloke so leave him alone Laugh
AKinMN  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:11:15 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The Brule is at 295 cfs and climbing right now. They got over half a foot of snow last night and it's still coming down. Temps are going to be in the 50s by Friday. She's gonna be quite big by the weekend. Good luck.

Edited by user Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:30:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AussieFisho  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 6:00:05 PM(UTC)
AussieFisho

United States

Dang it looks like I might have to come up with a second game plan! Looking on the DNR site, if I was to pick a random stream, should I be looking at any particular combination of Class and colour regulation to give me the best chance of catching something? eg. Class I with Special Regs (red)? Going to be catch and release and don't mind what I target!

Edit: Thinking of heading to the Driftless Area around Viroqua as a backup plan but a lot of the streams are on private land and only a small number of sections that are public. Do people just jump into the stream from public access and just not tell the land owner? Anyone around the area that might want to hang out for the day?

Edited by user Thursday, May 9, 2019 6:29:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

big_river_bum  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 10:18:14 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Drop down off the interstate to the area around wildcat mountain state park. Some really pretty streams in that area and more than enough easements and public lands