Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cschub13  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:27:23 PM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

I will be staying on the Arkansas River in Buena Vista mid-August. Obviously plan to do some fishing. Anybody have any experience in the area? Would be interested to hear about opportunities other than the Arkansas. Cheers!
Sponsor
Siggy1  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2019 11:16:03 AM(UTC)
Siggy1

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I’ve read there’s a lot of the hike in high alpine lakes in the buena vista area. You’re also not to far from the south platte river and the dream stream section is maybe 45min to an hour away. Always fun to fish the dream stream and chase the bigs down n there. As far as the Arkansas if you want to get by more slowing moving water and deep pools head to the section from salida to canon city which isn’t far. Lots of nice stretches with public access and lots of browns. Have fun man, the buena vista area is beautiful
Siggy1  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 7:38:51 PM(UTC)
Siggy1

Also if you haven’t already check out the fly shop in Buena vistas website, arkanglars. They have an interactive map with some really good info to help you out.
NE IA Drifter  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 12:24:33 AM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I haven’t spent much time on the lakes around there but have spent a quite a bit of time exploring the Arkansas from canon city to granite co. The ark is a huge river with plenty of public access. The river is managed for whitewater rafting which means there is a lot of rafting that time of year and the flows are pretty significant. What that means for me is a lot of boulder hopping and throwing dry droppers. It’s a really fun river and beautiful scenery. Sorry I can’t point you in the right direction for lakes around there but picking a trail that leads by or to a lake is usually my approach.
cschub13  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 12:59:50 PM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Thanks for the tips, guys. Being with a group of guys that probably don't plan to fish all day long, I'll probably focus my time mostly on early morning and evenings (which is probably ideal anyway). I'll have to check out the map on arkanglers web page...thanks for the heads up! I'm all for exploring, so I'll certainly make the best of it.
Noctilio  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 11:54:06 PM(UTC)
Noctilio

The Arkansas River can be fun and it runs right through town. As mentioned earlier the dream stream section of the south olatye is close. Below anterior reservoir is can be good too. These are all good choices but I would seriously consider the Taylor.
cschub13  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:27:34 PM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Originally Posted by: Noctilio Go to Quoted Post
The Arkansas River can be fun and it runs right through town. As mentioned earlier the dream stream section of the south olatye is close. Below anterior reservoir is can be good too. These are all good choices but I would seriously consider the Taylor.

That was not on my radar yet, but it is now! Thanks!
NE IA Drifter  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 5:32:06 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

You can get to the Taylor somewhat easily but going over cottonwood pass (I believe that is the name) in the summer. They might have construction happening still and the snowpack could through a wrench in this plan but would second the Taylor as an option. An FYI I just read that co has 5x the snowpack of last yr at this time. We’ve been cool this spring too so runoff really hasn’t started.
cschub13  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 9:18:12 PM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Originally Posted by: NE IA Drifter Go to Quoted Post
You can get to the Taylor somewhat easily but going over cottonwood pass (I believe that is the name) in the summer. They might have construction happening still and the snowpack could through a wrench in this plan but would second the Taylor as an option. An FYI I just read that co has 5x the snowpack of last yr at this time. We’ve been cool this spring too so runoff really hasn’t started.

Thanks for the heads up. Any clue if runoff will play a big factor in water levels out in August?
NE IA Drifter  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 12:56:46 AM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Should mean that flows are good and water temps aren’t too high by August. I’m no expert and not sure we’ve had a yr like this since I moved out here in 2013. There have been heavy snow yrs recently but I don’t think we’ve had this cool of a spring. Last yr was a drought and we had a lot of warm water super early. I was fishing deckers after work on May 30 and the water felt like bath water which was pretty crazy.