Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2019 11:03:53 PM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I'm wondering if there's a certain way a spinner runs, i.e. is there a back and a belly or an up and a down? A guy on a different forum was saying there was, but I couldn't make sense of what he was saying. I was asking because I'm going to make a few with single hooks and it would be ideal to have the hook point facing up. I'm also going to try some single hooks on crankbaits, I'll report back after I get some fishing time on them.
Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2019 11:34:58 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Interesting - I've never really thought about this, but it seems to me the 'back' or 'belly' would be pretty random, based on how the lure lands on the water. I always twist mine up so that the top loop (end tied to the line) and the hook loop are parallel, but I don't think you can really know which side would face up during your retrieve. Even just 180 degrees of line twist will flip them, and even on a short cast, that strikes me as something that would end up being pretty random.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
rschmidt  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 10:39:17 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I agree with you, that doesn't make any sense. :) Use a treble and one hook is probably always point up. There is no reasonable way to achieve what you suggest and even if you could, the angle of the fish strike also varies randomly and is nearly infinitive. Good luck.
Life of Riley  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 6:20:51 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have a buddy who has done several canadian fly in brookie trips, and they experimented with different hook setups. Eventually they went to single siwashs not because they had to, but because they had the best hookup to landing ratio on them. A single hook has a bigger gap and in general fishing wisdom and experience you will land more fish once the fish is hooked. I think the advantage with trebles is that you have increased hookups, although they are easier to throw(a fish has more leverage on a treble vs. a single hook). My buddy was throwing a single hook spinner in SE mn with me and he was having no trouble hooking up. Anyways, I just want to try both ways due to my own personal curiosity. I'm sure each hook has pluses and minuses.
OTC_MN  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:40:28 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Have any of you that make your own spinners tried Mustad Triple Grip trebles? I change out some of my bass crankbait hooks to Triple Grips when the factory hooks are shite, and my God they're nasty hooks. Scary sharp and hold fish really well. They make both long and short shank models too. Actually kind of scare of them when I'm unhooking a fish with a face full of them. Worse than Rapala hooks.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
thanks 1 user thanked OTC_MN for this useful post.
rschmidt on 5/30/2019(UTC)
rschmidt  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 11:25:09 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I haven't, but worth a look, thanks. For the price, I like Eagle Claw red lazer trebles. I hand sharpen all lures on assembly and if touch up is needed, so they are as sharp as a hook can get. I see they come in only 1x and 2x, but if they are good enough for KVD, good enough for me! hahahaha. Happy Fishing!

Edited by user Thursday, May 30, 2019 11:29:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified