Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 5:43:07 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Today marked the unofficial end to the first half of my 2019 local trout season. Gonna be unable to trout fish (locally) for the next 3 weeks due to other stuff going on and mainly because the freaking gnats have exploded once again.

I don’t see anyone else mentioning (whining like a little pansy about Flapper Laugh ) the gnats, but I’m just not gonna put up with them. No trout are worth it.

Maybe they aren’t an issue above the Wisco River, but last night and today saw me accompanied by 40-50 of them at almost all times – both here near Madison and in Iowa and Grant counties.

For those who don’t know, they aren’t just fun little tag-alongs. They try to fly into your eyes, up your nose, down your windpipe, into your ears and land in your hair. I don’t know how rural folk and animals put up with them.

I have welts on my neck where they got under my buff and I see trails of them when I shut my eyes and feel phantom crawlers on my face. Blink Laugh

Time to move primarily towards float fishing.

Anyway… went full hero mode and defied the swarming horde and fished from about 7:00 am till around 5:30, hitting streams in all three counties. Knew it was my last full day outing for a while and the overcast made conditions perfect.

I saw no one else fishing anywhere – not a huge surprise.

A buddy went out to the B.G. and turned tail like a little weenie just because a bunch of them went up his nose. He drove all the way there from Monroe and fished for about a half hour lol.

A couple of the larger streams that I looked at were blown out chocolate milk, so concentrated my efforts on smaller waters.

This was a cool little spot on one of those small streams...

UserPostedImage

Had never seen a spot quite like it before.

Got this 18.5 inch brown in the same general area.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Always love getting a (relatively) big trout out of a tiny stream.

Something did some damage to this brookie…

UserPostedImage

Another brown from the morning stream…

UserPostedImage

Headed west and stopped by a couple of honey holes in Iowa County – forgetting to put my hat and buff back on. Figured I could tough it out for a few casts. 10 minutes later I was back in the van picking about 40 dead gnats out of my hair after catching a couple including this beast...

UserPostedImage

Went further west and hit a favorite small stream in Grant coz the large stream I wanted to hit was blown when I arrived.

The smaller stream was very stained but fishable and the brownies were quite active. Fished it for maybe 2.5 hours and stopped when I hit 30 to hand – 27 browns and 3 brookies. Had at least that many short strikers and ones that got off.

A few pics…

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Nothing big, but nice steady action.

A 40 fish day to close things out with an 18+ thrown in... a great day!

Edited by user Sunday, June 2, 2019 5:45:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 6/2/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
big_river_bum  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 5:49:14 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
awesome day!

i honestly love that first stream pic. i'd love to know it just to walk it, not even caring about the fishing

gnats don't bother me too much. i've noticed them the last week or so.

i just put the "buggins" on

and also usually have a camel burning
Gurth  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 1:38:28 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 105 post(s)
My neck this morning…

UserPostedImage

Imagine if I hadn’t had a buff on.

Everyone's different, but not sure this is something I could ever simply not be bugged by. These aren’t the little innocuous flies that will be around your yard or on the deck at times.

These fvckers are relentless and constantly trying to get at your neck, face and hair. They go on kamikaze runs into your throat, eyes and nose and are leaches when they can get at your neck.

I remember on the worst day last year blowing my nose when I got back to the van and having at least 10 of them in my snot.

I think sand fly is probably a more accurate thing to call them or biting midges.

Funny… thinking back… I didn’t see anyone at all out and about in the areas in Grant where I was driving around. No fishermen in a popular area on a beautiful Saturday in May was curious enough.

It was like a post-apocalyptic world where the gnats were now supreme.

Laugh

Now for some Benedryl.

And lake fishing.

Edited by user Sunday, June 2, 2019 1:49:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Smis  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 6:00:48 PM(UTC)
Smis

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I know what Gurth is talking about and I don’t see how anyone could be unbothered by them (buffalo gnats?). You can only tolerate them to varying degrees. Fishing helps me focus and put them in the back of my mind but the second I stop fishing it’s brutal. Buffs help a lot and I wouldn’t even bother fishing without one.
rschmidt  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 6:13:08 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 45 post(s)
We don't have em here like that bullshit. Spraying some DEET keeps whatever gnats there are at bay for periods of time. We do get Alaskan mosquito outbreaks though. They get bad enough that even 100% DEET does nothing. Usually only a couple weeks. I was off the streams mid fish thrice last year due to unrelenting mosquitoes. You might also want some permethrian for your clothing. I use a shirt that has tick and other biting bug repellent fabric. It's also super sexy! Hahaha. Go get some bass and musky! Ron

Edited by user Sunday, June 2, 2019 6:13:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 7:22:12 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

This was a cool little spot on one of those small streams...

UserPostedImage

Had never seen a spot quite like it before.

Got this 18.5 inch brown in the same general area.

UserPostedImage

That is a true forest creek! Very unusual for the DA. Nice Brown too Gurth. I'm always amused when I show other fishermen pictures of the streams I fish, and their first comment is that they don't think it would be worth their time. Fine by me, I'll keep fishing these little streams.

I'm surprised by the welts you got. I didn't think those gnats bite. Buggins is the ticket. You just need to keep applying it, and you do smell like sponge cake, but it does work on those annoying bastards.

And oh yes, nice Penny Dreadful reference!

-Bill

Edited by user Sunday, June 2, 2019 7:23:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
madguy30  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2019 12:30:09 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Was just thinking of hitting up the trout streams again with all of the recent rain keeping local rivers up and virtually unfishable but this info is good for deterring me.

Gonna have to get creative.