Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billybigbilly  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2019 10:08:37 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hello everyone, I got sick of my mono line coming off the reel and making birdnest so I decided to get braided line. I have a few questions/comments on it.
Do you guys spool some mono then tie the braid on it or directly tie the braid to the spool? I did straight braid and so far so good.
How do you guys set hooks differently in braid vs mono, it much more sensitive and my last trip I had a bunch of fish that were on but quickly came off and I wonder if it was because I wasn't doing my normal hook sets.
And any other advice on what to do differently with braid vs mono to get the best out of the braid?
Thanks
Sponsor
Hoggies  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2019 2:26:44 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Be careful about closing your bail onto slack line. The stuffs so limp you can wrap loops onto your spool or get it tangled in the rotor.
thanks 1 user thanked Hoggies for this useful post.
billybigbilly on 6/7/2019(UTC)
BrodyHetland  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2019 4:01:37 PM(UTC)
BrodyHetland

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have been fishing 4lb Fireline from Berkely all season until three days ago. It is strong, if you can get a good knot tied (fireline seems very slick). It is white in color and it was more visable in the water then i liked so i switched to 5 pound power pro. I like the feel of the power pro much better, the green looks GREAT in the water, much harder to see for me than the white fireline. Also, it seems less slick for knot tying.

I have powerpro on two Mojo Musky's, two Mojo Bass Casting rods, and a tube jig bass rod (all different poundage's) and I have always been very happy with power pro.

My 2 cents. Laugh

- Brody
thanks 1 user thanked BrodyHetland for this useful post.
rschmidt  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 6, 2019 2:43:09 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 45 post(s)
It's plenty thin go up to 10# PP for stream trout. It will not suffer from abrasion and rock cuts nearly as much as the 5#. Ron
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
NBrevitz  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 6, 2019 6:45:32 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Braid has essentially no stretch, so if anything you don’t need as much of a hookset. I’ve had too many issues when I’ve used it, and I only use it nowadays for Lakers through the ice or Muskie fishing. That said, a lot of people on here swear by it.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
Hoggies  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 6, 2019 11:50:35 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I use spiderwire... 6lb spiderwire is thinner in diameter than 4lb fireline iirc. It casts better but it's also more susceptible to abrasion problems. It's also way cheaper as far as I know.

I've always used a Palomar knot for braid. Easy to tie, low profile, and never has slipping issues.
thanks 1 user thanked Hoggies for this useful post.
Noctilio  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 12:59:44 AM(UTC)
Noctilio

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Going back to the original comment. I actually feel like mono is more manageable than braid. As someone mentioned braid is super limp, in my opinion this can lead to a few issues. My biggest problem with braid is knotting probably because the line is so limp. Anyway, for trout I’d probably stick with mono with the one exception of lake fishing where I may want to cast super far.
thanks 1 user thanked Noctilio for this useful post.
billybigbilly  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 9:01:26 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Thanks for the feed back guys, I'll watch out for any knots and see how braid works, if not maybe I will try fluorocarbon.
NBrevitz  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 8, 2019 5:19:00 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: billybigbilly Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the feed back guys, I'll watch out for any knots and see how braid works, if not maybe I will try fluorocarbon.

I love 8 lb P-Line. It can gets twisted up, but it’s so damn strong. I landed a 22 lb Chinook on it with a broken rod. Love that stuff. Use a Palomar knot with it though! Clinch knots don’t hold well at all with it. But the Palomar or any snell knot holds very well.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Life of Riley  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 8, 2019 6:44:57 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I just got a spool of Maxima 8lb. ultragreen to try for trout. 8lb. trilene XL was way to wimpy, 10lb. pp is good, but wraps around trebles and rod tips a lot. Maxima is a copoly and tough as hell, but doesn't wrap. I'll give it a try and report back. Fluorocarbon is definitely not the answer, handles poorly, ties bad knots, kinks, etc. That stuff is meant for leaders or casting reels only.