Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2019 3:23:04 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 173 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Drove around a bit earlier this week trying to find fishable water. Lots of rain in SW Wisconsin had most streams blown out or too muddy to fish. I got permission to fish the upper part of a very small creek running through a cow pasture that I haven't tried in a few years and was well rewarded.

This solid 14" Brown came out along the outside edge of the photo below in about 12" of water. At one point in the fight he beached himself and then flopped back into the water again before I could coax him into the net.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Just 10 yards further upstream I got this hefty 16" guy to come out from under a log to eat my Pink Squirrel. The fly popped out just moments after I got him in the net. It's a riot battling Trout this size in such a tiny stream. Like a knife fight in a phone booth.
UserPostedImage

On the walk out I talked to the land owner who said that very few people have fished her stream so far this year. Few fishermen would bother with such a small creek. Their loss. I'll definitely be back.

The next morning I waded though the deep dew wet grass to try my hand on another small stream. It took lots of effort to get though the chest high stuff and find a spot on the stream that wasn't canopied. I stomped down the grass along the bank to have a place to stand and got this guy on the second cast.
UserPostedImage

I lost two similar Brookies that got off, or got tangled in the weeds before I could net them. I finally gave up when a bigger Brown Trout broke my tippet. In 15 minutes I caught about 10 Trout standing in that one spot covering about 30 foot of the stream. I tried ducking out to try pushing into another spot upstream, but the weeds were just too much and I was soaked. I hated to give up as the bite was strong, but it just wasn't worth the effort.

Dropped by another cow pasture stream that was more accessible, but still had waist high grass in places to deal with. Caught a bunch of smaller Trout before a thunderstorm moved in to end my day.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

A bit of a weird day for me. Only 15 minutes of fishing on the first stream, and a little more than an hour on the second. Normally I'll put in 5-6 hours/day on stream. But, I had fun and caught some fish, so it was worth it.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 2 users thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Gurth on 6/29/2019(UTC), Donny Kerabatsos on 9/3/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
billybigbilly  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2019 6:35:54 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Nice story and fish, with rain and work I haven't been able to get out so it's nice to see other people living the dreamLaugh
thanks 1 user thanked billybigbilly for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 6/29/2019(UTC)
rschmidt  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2019 4:15:06 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Good stuff Bill! Ron
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2019 3:52:58 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 173 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I'm hoping to get back there next week. But with 80s and 90s in the forecast, I might have to get up pretty early to get on stream before the heat shuts everything down. Would be nice to fish with hoppers too, but it might be a bit early for that.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
weiliwen  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2019 6:12:36 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Strong work, and I'm going to have to remember that phrase, "like a knife fight in a phone booth."
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.