Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2019 9:20:36 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Has anybody fishing the Driftless seen hoppers yet as they wade through the fields toward their favorite streams? Although summer isn't generally my favorite time of year to fish, I want to get up there the week after Independence Day weekend to fish, and hope to find a reason to fish outside of the dawn and dusk hours. Well, successfully fish.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2019 9:23:34 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I'm just starting to see tiny ones in my garden, but I'm in mpls so they may be farther along down south. my guess is we're at least a couple weeks away from fishable hoppers. Then again, the trout might not know that LOL
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Trouts  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2019 9:29:24 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have not noticed many yet this year. The ones I'm seeing are still small at this point. It still won't hurt anything to tie one on or any other attractor pattern. I know Trapper fishes a hippie stomper basically year around.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
madguy30  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2019 11:25:51 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I threw a hopper out in mid June just to mess around and a couple of trout swung at it.

I've read people using them practically year round.
Hairball  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 12:17:51 AM(UTC)
Hairball

Man

In the last week, even with a bit of stain on the water I have caught some mid afternoon browns on hippie stompers, foam beetles, and ants.
rschmidt  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 12:54:35 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Northern driftless hoppers pick up end of July and in August. I have not seen any and I suspect they will be late. Last year, they were mainly small ones, not the 2-3 inch jobbers. R
briz  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 2:34:05 PM(UTC)
briz

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I found really small green ones in Dane Co last week. Picked up a couple on the smallest hopper I had in the box but more on the dropper.
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 2:51:55 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
I've seen a couple in the last few weeks. But it's a bit early and way too wet for them to hit the water in sufficient numbers for Trout to key on them. For the southern part of the DA hoppers usually start appearing in good numbers by mid/late July. A good stretch of hot and dry weather is all we need.

Although, as mentioned in posts above, Hippie Stompers, beetles and craneflies patterns have been working well lately when the water is clear enough. I did quite well with a size 14 purple Hippie Stomper last weekend.
UserPostedImage

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
weiliwen  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 3:55:46 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Thanks, Everybody. I plan to spend the weekend centered around Viroqua the weekend after 4th of July weekend - I guess that makes it July 12-14. It sounds like they might just be starting then, depending on the weather.

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"