Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 5:48:19 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
We've got a short family trip planned to Dubuque next week. It's not a fishing trip-the water park and the aquarium will be the focal points-but I plan on packing a rod or two and sneaking in some fishing, probably at sunrise and sunset. As close as I will be to the Driftless area of NE Iowa, I don't think I'll make it up there: the less time I spend in the car, the more time I'll have for fishing. It looks as if there are a couple of put-and-take trout streams just south of Dubuque, Catfish Creek and one of its tributaries, Monastery Creek. Is anyone familiar with them? Are they worth a look?

I'd be more than happy to fish for smallmouths instead of trout. Are there some rip-rapped banks of the Mississippi that would be worth fishing? Or any warm water streams outside of town? Scenery is almost as important to me as the fish. If anyone has any advice to offer, you could always email me (plamar@midestern.edu) if you'd rather not give away too much in a public forum. I'm not asking for any hard-earned knowledge or secret spots; just an access point or bridge crossing, anything to get me started. Thanks for any help you are able to provide.

Pete
Sponsor
Jumpsuit  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 7:35:17 PM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Email sent( I think)
Pete  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:02:38 PM(UTC)
Pete

Thank you; I will keep my eyes open for it. It may have temporarily gone to a quarantine file, but I can retrieve it from there easily enough.
Pete  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 12:54:39 PM(UTC)
Pete

Jumpsuit,
I sent you an email through this site and also tried to pm you (in case the email doesn't work) but it said your pm box is full and you won't receive any messages until you create space there. thanks for the help.
Pete
Jumpsuit  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 1:37:20 PM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Ha ha it says the same when I tried to pm you. I replied to reply to your email so hopefully it works this time!
thanks 1 user thanked Jumpsuit for this useful post.
Pete on 7/19/2019(UTC)
mr89ia  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:51:19 PM(UTC)
mr89ia

I have fished the stream right outside of Dubuque in Swiss Valley. I believe that is Catfish Creek. It had decent numbers of fish, and I found more the further back in I went. Didn't have much competition and the Valley is pretty. Had more walkers than fishermen.