Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2019 12:36:14 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Escaped today for another one day up and back trip to the Driftless. Hard to believe it's already August. The summer is just flying by.

It was a brisk 48 degrees at departure! But I knew it would warm up quickly with the rising sun. When I arrived on stream it was already in the mid 60s and it would eventually hit 80 degrees by mid-afternoon. Blues skies with some nice fluffy looking white clouds and nice mild breeze kept things comfortable.
UserPostedImage

Perfect looking hopper water, but it was a bit early for the Trout to look up. Small bead heads, wet flies and small streamers worked well early on. The Brown Trout were sporting nice buttery yellow belly colors and fought vigorously.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I was planning on making this trip earlier in the week. There was plenty of evidence of high water up over the banks of the stream from last weekends storms, so I'm glad I waited until later in the week when things settled down a bit. The water had just a slight stain and was running nice and cold.

The fishing was a bit on and off. The bite was strong for the first hour or so, and then things got pretty quiet for awhile. Then around mid-day it picked up again as the fish began rising to small terrestrial foam patterns and hoppers. The Brookies simply hammered the hoppers, often coming completely out of the water on the strike.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Walked pretty far upstream where this creek got very shallow. But it mostly flowed along a limestone bluff with lots of trees, making it comfortable to fish in the shade. And yes, I did catch Trout here. The nice Brookie below came out right against the rock wall edge in about 10 inches of water. Just about any tiny spot of holding water held a Trout.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Such a tranquil and peaceful place to visit. Although my ankles are killing me right now after walking on all that loose rock.
UserPostedImage

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 3 users thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Z4c64 on 8/2/2019(UTC), Gurth on 8/2/2019(UTC), billybigbilly on 8/2/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
cschub13  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2019 2:49:45 PM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Awesome report as always! Planning to get out tomorrow for the first time in months (new little one has me tied down). This definitely gets me pumped!
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2019 4:36:44 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Great report as always Bill👍
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Z4c64  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2019 5:36:48 PM(UTC)
Z4c64

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I too appreciate the report Bill. Complete with photos that allow us to share in your successful trip. I too am about 3 hours from the driftless but I have a couple streams near me.

Today I decided it was time to commit to catching a wild trout on my flyrod with a hand tied Elk Hair Caddis fly that I imperfectly made. I was able to get a 9 inch brown after about 90 minutes in the water. Not a big fish, but it was sure pretty. It was a special fish to me because it was the first on a flyrod, with a fly tied by me. I'd caught some on Tenkara rods before, but the whole casting with the reel (and not getting stuck in a tree) has been an area where I required considerable growth. Finally everything came together and when the line jumped, the question I've always had (how will you know when you get a bit on a fly rod?) was answered and the pretty little fish came to the net in about 20 seconds after a spirited fight.

The release too was pretty special. Because I forgot my phone, I was able to keep the fish in the water (in the net) the whole time. Once I got the fly out of its top lip, I just lowered the net and lowered my hand. It took a few seconds, but the trout figured out that all he had to do was swim and he was free. Strong little fish went right up into the boiling water below the plunge pool where I caught him.
thanks 2 users thanked Z4c64 for this useful post.
Gurth on 8/2/2019(UTC), William Schlafer on 8/2/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2019 11:02:03 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Thanks guys.

Ended that day at a brew pub that has the Discovery Channels "Shark Week" on. Had fun watching sharks and salt water crocodiles attacking each other. Which reminds me of why I'll never live near the ocean.

Smile

-Bill

"Live every week like it's Shark Week." -- Tracy Jordan

Edited by user Friday, August 2, 2019 11:03:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added quote

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Jumpsuit  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 4, 2019 3:18:00 PM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Great summer report ! Nothing better then getting up to a brisk 48 degree morning in the middle of all these sweltering summer days .