Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SquareEgg  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2019 4:51:34 PM(UTC)
SquareEgg

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I am making my way to Duluth tomorrow for a wedding and it is just occurring to me that I will have about 2-3 hours of down time that should only be filled with fishing. So I'm doing some last minute google searches and checking maps to see what my options may be. Tischer creek is one that stands out to me- have any of you had any experience here? Is it worth a poke around? Generally, what might I be able to expect in terms of water conditions?
Obligatory "I'm not asking for honeyhole coordinates" disclosure, just would appreciate any insights. On that note, if anyone has a brewery and/or lunch spot suggestion instead, I'd gladly take that as well.

*note: I don't think the Tischer is a secret, but if it is please just send me a scalding email/pm and I'll edit my post.

Thanks in advance,
Jordan
Sponsor
NBrevitz  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2019 6:39:34 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
There’s a stream on the north end of town that rhymes with Tucker River. It’s not blue ribbon, but it does hold some Trout on the upper end. Brookies and Browns. That’s your best bet right in town IMO.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2019 10:54:57 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
There is a fine fly shop in Superior: The Superior Fly Angler. They might be able to steer you to some productive streams in the area. This website also has some info regarding local Trout streams.

If you need a good brew or two, try The Bent Paddle taproom. Great beer, knowledgeable staff, and a really neat restored old building.

Good luck!
-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
zpope on 8/8/2019(UTC)
SquareEgg  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 3, 2019 2:21:37 AM(UTC)
SquareEgg

Thank you both!
Nick- thanks for the lead. I believe I'll make my way to the upper section and kick around.
Bill- I'm glad to hear good reviews of Bent Paddle. The reception is at the taproom, the groom being a staff brewer ... I'll have a massive headache Sunday morning.
NBrevitz  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 3, 2019 7:16:19 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

No problem! It’s a nice spot, far from Driftless abundance, but you should be able to find some fish. Anything from Bergquist on up has been good to me at one time or another. It’s Brown Trout dominated down low, and as you’d expect, the higher you go, the bigger the fish. A couple small waterfalls if you go up from Bergquist,
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
SquareEgg  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 4:08:10 PM(UTC)
SquareEgg

Thanks again for the tip. I managed a handful of teeny brookies and, well, lets just say I learned how the river got it's name Laugh

I put in and fished upstream for about 2 hours. It was HOT HOT HOT... and I eventually came up to another waterfall I just didn't have the steam to schlep up. So I walked back to the car, but at that point just couldn't afford the time to go further upstream to try my luck again- I now realize I should have started further up to begin with.... Oh well! it felt great to get on new water.
I found my way then to Burrito Union in Duluth and had what was easily one of the best burritos in my life. So, a solid day in my book. ThumpUp
NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:25:23 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: SquareEgg Go to Quoted Post
Thanks again for the tip. I managed a handful of teeny brookies and, well, lets just say I learned how the river got it's name Laugh
I found my way then to Burrito Union in Duluth and had what was easily one of the best burritos in my life. So, a solid day in my book. ThumpUp

You were way too far down if you were hitting lots of Suckers. Glad you got some fish though👍

And yes, Burrito Union is incredible. The Rasputin is fantastic.