Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 7, 2019 4:36:47 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 176 time(s) in 137 post(s)
Drove up to Richland County (Wisconsin) on Friday for another up and back trip. Was surprised again to find vehicles parked at my first two choices of streams. Had to drive around an hour before I found a couple streams to fish.

The bite was not nearly as strong as a week ago, despite almost identical weather and water conditions. But I caught enough to make the trip worthwhile and enjoyed the beautiful weather.

I caught a few of these:
UserPostedImage

And a bunch of these:
UserPostedImage

Had to deal with this on one stream. Hard work wading up through the tunnels and keeping the fly line from tangling up. The stream here is normally about 8 feet wide.
UserPostedImage

Very tight quarters. Was running about 1:3 on casts hitting the weeds instead of the water. Immediately after hookup the crafty Brook Trout would bury their heads back into the grass and spin, wrapping up the leader. Lost several that way. You need to turn them quickly and steer them to a spot where you can net em.

The water flows continue to be strong and cold on every stream I looked at. Water was running clear to slightly stained, as there was a brief rain shower the night before. Billions of Grass Hoppers were everywhere and were landing on the water regularly as I walked the banks. I think that maybe the Trout are getting their fill of them and are getting a bit more selective, which might explain the slower bite this week. Or, it could just have been the streams I picked.

Also happy to see the Wisconsin River near Muscoda back to something approaching normal water levels and water color. It's been high and muddy since the spring melt. Just a few years ago the river dropped to near historic levels and you could almost wade across it near Spring Green. Lots of boaters, canoes and rafters on the river for a Friday. I guess everyone is trying to get in some fun before cooler water settles in.

Just a perfect early fall day. The slightest change of colors starting to appear in some of the trees on the north facing hillsides.
UserPostedImage

The skies always seem a little brighter and clouds a little fluffier the day after another Packer win over the Bears!
Flapper

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Gurth on 9/8/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
billybigbilly  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2019 4:52:12 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Thanks for the report! I managed to get out today, It was nice not burning in the heat for once.