Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2019 3:10:50 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 146 post(s)
I was bummed that I couldn't make TrapFest last weekend. Today would be my only chance to get out for the next week or so, and it looks like rain in the forecast too. So I made the three hour high speed run this morning up to Vernon county in search of hopper eating Trout.

I had free access to all my choices of streams today. Nobody beat me to them, for a change. I did see quite a few vehicles parked at access spots on other streams though. All creeks I looked at were either crystal clear or slightly stained. The great water volume and temps for this time of year continues and is making for great fishing conditions and happy Trout.

The Brookies are coloring up nicely along with the trees.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

And the Browns were simply mad for the hopper. Many times, several would dart out from the banks to battle for it. Nearly every cast would at least draw a swipe or a high-speed strike. They were husky and strong and fought like champions.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I was finishing up on the first stream when I made an ill advised step, slipped and I went for a little swim. Filled my waders and got soaked right up to the neck. Got a nice big purple bruise on my thigh where I landed on a rock. Fortunately I wasn't far from the car. Ran up to the laundromat in Viroqua and run the wet clothes through a dryer. Redressed and was back on stream in short order.

Fall is rapidly approaching. Leaves are already raining down into the stream. There were hungry Trout along every rock here.
UserPostedImage

This is my hopper after several Browns gnawed on it. Managed to only use up two all day. 3X leaders and tippet make it easy to turn big Trout and rip the fly out of the weeds when it hangs up. I also use extra heavy hooks, which helps insure that the hopper lands right side up on the water.
UserPostedImage

I managed to put 50+ in the net from three streams over five hours fishing. Despite my little swim, it was still a terrific day of fishing and it was great to be out in the beautiful weather. Hope to squeeze in one more outing before the season ends in a couple weeks.
UserPostedImage

-Bill

Edited by user Wednesday, September 25, 2019 3:13:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Gurth on 9/25/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
rschmidt  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2019 3:44:43 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 61 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Nice outing Bill! I am in the Dells area the next few days with some evening fish time available. Happy fishing.
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 9/25/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2019 5:12:14 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Thanks!

Man, that cold water sure was a wake up call. Even on a nice warm day, I could feel the chill setting in. Glad I was close to the car to get out of the wet clothes. If that dunking had happened back in February on a nice chill 30 degree day, it could've been a serious problem.

There's tons of great fishing options west and southwest of the Dells area. Some of the bigger rivers and streams will stain up quickly if it rains. But the smaller tribs will be fishable.

Good luck!
-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2019 4:05:38 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

I've posted this before, but here it is again for the newbies.

This video sums up how much fun late summer/early fall hopper fishing is. Make sure you watch it all the way to the end.

This guy is my hero. Not only did he take a tumble down the bank and took a full body swim, but he caught it all on video... and posted it for all to see!
ThumpUp

-Bill
sasquatch  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 10:12:09 PM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Those are some absolute stunner looking fish!
Impromptu cold water baptisms are rarely fun, sounds like u took it like a champ though! Awesome catches.
"...let that phucker sink for awhile..." ~sasquatch~