Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 4:31:46 PM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I went out friday on a secret creek in the MN driftless, and the fish were on the chew with the thick clouds(would have liked a little wind though). The first hole on the property I had moved a fish earlier this year but couldn't get a hook in her until yesterday, chubby 18.5" female. A couple holes up got a 21.5" male, then another female at 18" in the hole after that. I got to a big corner hole with a tree in it, in trips past I knew fish were in it but messed up and snagged wood/spooked hole. Made a good cast and fish were boiling and chasing my rapala but no hook ups. Second cast and I hook a 12" brown, and lo and behold there is giant fish swimming in right next to him, looks in the 22-23 inch range. I froze like a statue and the small trout cruises past me and turns back into the current then maintains position. The big one circles around at a slow speed for 30 seconds and then proceeds to head back up to the hole. Once he's gone I land the little one, and cast back to the same spot, the big trout follows my floater all the way back, bites it upstream 7 feet from me, runs downstream, and jumps 3 feet out of the water(so I could see his pretty golden belly), lands, then spits my hook 3 secs later. With these fish being so wary, it was cool as hell to see one over 20*(in my estimation) so close that I could spit on it, and not moving very fast so I could make out the big hook, square tail, etc.
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 7:02:41 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Anytime you see a big Trout attacking a smaller one struggling on the hook, is a good time to put on your biggest, gnarliest lure and toss it back in his general direction. Predatory fish are programmed to react to smaller fish in trouble. The same way wolves and lions react to sick or limping prey.

This time of year is an excellent time to catch a bigger Trout as they have the feedbag on in anticipation of the upcoming fall spawn.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Life of Riley  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 10:49:04 PM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Bill, my guess is that the big one wasn't attacking the smaller one, I think he followed him in case he dropped the creek chub(rapala) I caught him on. Like when you hook a smallmouth and have the whole school chasing the fish you hooked in case he drops the minnow. I never saw the big one swipe at the smaller one. Later that day in another nice hole I had three trout in the 14-17" range all follow my lure back to me. It was a really neat site.