Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:23:22 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
So, any big plans for the time you'd normally spend trout fishing?

I attended the Northern RodMaker's gathering the same weekend as the Fall TrapFest. I ended up with enough bamboo to make my own rod, so that's my winter project, a Dickerson 8013 8' 5 weight. I don't expect the quality level to enable to me to sell it for $2500, but I do hope to be able to say that I made one, with the help of some SME's with a bunch of expensive equipment.

I have 15 fly reels (and need maybe 3 of them) and I bought a lot with unknown fly line. I bought a sensitive scale and will be removing the line from every reel I own and measuring it so I can at least know the weight. I'll take a full inventory of my fly lines, too.

And I have my promise to myself to spend more time at the fly bench, too, and I have a regular rod to build, a 9' 2 weight graphite.

This weekend, I'll move my rods and soon-to-be-unlined reels down from my Madison hovel back home until January.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:00:48 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 190 time(s) in 148 post(s)
- Clean fly lines on all reels
- Cleans and lube all reels
- Patch two pair of leaky hip waders
- Wash my fly vest (it has a serious funk going on)
- Repair and clean my tying vise
- Order a stash of fly tying materials, and...
- Tie up a bunch of flies to restock my boxes
- Rig up some new leaders with tippet rings
- Attend SWTU Ice Breaker Event in January (missed it last year)
- Visit fly shops in Superior, Minneapolis, River Falls and Green Bay
- Scourer Trout steam maps in search of new streams to fish in 2020
- Plan and plot out trips to the DA in the spring
- Spend some quality time watching YouTube videos and try to figure out what streams they're catching those big Trout on!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Pete  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:02:43 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
The only season that's closed is Wisconsin inland trout. If anything, I may be doing more fishing in the coming 4-6 weeks because of knowing what follows: cold, snow, lakes and ponds locked in ice. If I want to fish for brook trout, I'll cross the Mississippi into Iowa for a fix. I have to get to the Milwaukee and Spey cast for lake run browns, cohos, steelhead, whoever shows up, once the chinook run has wound down. Smallmouth have not been kind to me this year. I've still got two to three weeks to fix that before fly fishing for them becomes unproductive. And of course some turkey hunting-and maybe fishing the tributaries for migratory fish-near Green Bay before the rut is in full swing and the deer hunters don't want to see us out busting the deer that they've worked so hard to pattern.

After that, there will be plenty of time for fly tying, constructing leaders, picking out a few books to read, that sort of thing. And of course thinking about and planning the early outings of 2020.
MN Driftless  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:08:44 PM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Tying....lots of it. Mainly nymphs and streamers since it felt like that's all I did this year was fish them. Picked up some cool patterns on Instagram I will mess around with.

Repair some leaders. Clean some lines. New laces for the wading boots. Wash my waist pack.

Deer has been tagged and in the freezer. Maybe a few trips to Iowa for pheasants. Winter season is just around the corner.
Gurth  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:24:57 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Let's see…

New water softener

Fix leak in trap in upstairs sink

Replace bedroom doorknobs with ones I purchased back in March

Finally finish the door jam floor in the basement

Fix the…

Oh, fishing stuff?

Flapper

My buddy just bought a new fishing boat and wants me to go out with him on Saturday.

The wife was under the impression that I might take at least one weekend off.

Laugh

This outta go over well.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Trouts  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 11:51:35 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This is tying season for me. Need to restock some favorites and have a few prototype ideas to finally make up.

Reorganize my packs and fly boxes. They look a mess after a full season.

Clean reels, lines, and rods. I do this periodically throughout the season, but it's nice to sit down and go through things with a fine toothed comb.

Check over my boots and waders. I have one boot I need to add a few stiches too I noticed last weekend.

“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
rschmidt  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2019 12:19:36 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Lotsa of fishing left. Great Lakes are calling! Ron
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2019 12:38:44 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
I’ll make a couple more Salmon trips, but after catching 3 Brookies measuring a combined 59 1/2 inches last month, I know I won’t top that and I’m semi-content with my season.

I’ll try to shoot some birds in the next month, but once freeze up has hit the Great Lakes bays, I’ll be making some monster runs on my new sled. The Whitefish and Splake won’t know what hit them... Maybe I’ll even get out in Ontario for some giant Brookies through the ice. The target is now 22 inches.

On a side note though, what a shit year this was for giant Brookies in my area. I only saw 4-5 true monsters and I basically just trophy hunted this summer.

Edited by user Thursday, October 17, 2019 12:49:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
madguy30  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 12:21:27 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I'm going to try to pare down my fly tying supplies even more so. Need to get rid of things that I wish I knew I didn't need back when I started getting deeper into tying....I use like 3 different flies for trout/bluegill and either buggers or feathers and tinsel for anything else so just need to cut much of it out.

Is there a TU chapter in Madison or somewhere that takes fly tying donations?

Fishing wise if there's some decent days for temps I may try to get out and see if anything toothy is around.
Hoggies  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 1:55:10 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I need to get another streamer box and get all the furry flashies organized.

Otherwise - Pheasant hunting. Town limits c&r, weather permitting. Maybe hit up some grouse cover down here. Scrape together enough $$ for an 8 or 9 weight rig for warm water (thinking maybe a 10' echo ion xl). Maybe try making some bite leaders as well.