Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2019 6:55:45 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I was looking at one of the fly fishing sites I frequent and saw a nice river pram for sale, about 10' long. The current owner uses it on the large Western rivers like the Deschutes, Yakima, etc.

It made me think of our much smaller rivers. Has anybody drifted (with the intent to fish for trout) any of the semi-larger streams in Wisconsin's Driftless, like the West Fork Kick?

I can imagine taking a boat down from Bloomington to, I dunno, that pull-in below the bridge below the golf course. I've got a little pontoon kick boat that I might try that next year if I can find somebody to pick me up and deliver me back to my car.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2019 8:58:38 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 190 time(s) in 148 post(s)
I've seen a few drift boats on the Wisconsin River over the years, most likely targeting Bass runs. Can't say I've ever seen anything bigger than a kayak on a Trout stream in SW Wisconsin. I think they might might more sense in the big northern Trout streams like the Namekagon or Bois Brule, where access and wading are challenging.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
weiliwen on 10/26/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2019 10:38:36 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 190 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Of course, there's another option: hot air balloon fishing!

RIP John Candy.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Hoggies  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 5:19:56 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
My buddies and I floated a 14' Jon Boat on the Root from cummingsville to the other side of chatfield on trout opener this year. The water was up, so it worked fine. I know there are guides who do trips farther down as well.
weiliwen  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 8:58:50 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

https://images-na.ssl-im...71dcAFHU2zL._SL1500_.jpg

This is the kind of pontoon I'm talking about, not those gigantic lake monsters. Sorry, I am just unable to upload photos. I have tried every photo upload site recommended on this forum and others, and it just doesn't work for me. I don't consider myself a Luddite; I use my computer every day for work and play, but uploading a photo just doesn't work. You're just going to have to click the link.

Edited by user Saturday, October 26, 2019 9:11:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2019 1:34:43 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 128 post(s)
I don't know... I can't think of a single place that I (trout) fish where I'd want to even take my Kayak, let alone that contraption. Laugh Would be a complete shitshow for me to try that, even in some of the biggest places I go - including the Nam.

Even the Nam is wading water in the trout sections and the smallie waters (of the Nam) might be better served by a drift boat as I'd be leary to take a dual pontoon through some of the rougher water.

Fwiw, I've found kayak fishing to be a real pain in a current and most of our trout waters are really small with swift water.

In addition, most Driftless trout waters that I've been to turn to warm water or transitional fisheries by the time they get big enough that you can't wade.

All that said... maybe the Kick or lower sections (non-trout) of the Blue or Otter or I don't know.

That thing would be fun on a small bass pond though.

Edited by user Sunday, October 27, 2019 1:35:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
weiliwen  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2019 12:59:53 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

It's okay on a gentle river. I can even drop a small anchor to hold in place. Some crazies do take them on mild rapids, but I am too risk-averse to do it.

I was thinking about it for much easier access to some less accessible parts of the rivers. And if there are places I need to portage around an obstruction, it's easy to jump out of it and to carry it a short distance.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
trapper  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2019 9:30:54 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Guides from the Root River Rod Co. float the root river near Lanesboro, Mn. I may starting guiding on the main Kickapoo in 2020 using a 16ft flat bottom.
Get Reel