Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KruddyTFB  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2019 4:31:11 AM(UTC)
KruddyTFB

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I made the drive to the Brule this morning to give the fall tributary run a try for the first time.

When I pulled into the parking area for the first stretch I had the lot to myself. Not knowing what to expect, I started working my way upstream. Much of this included a lot more walking trails along side the river than I had ever done. After roughly an hour I had a couple fellows but no hits. At this point I work my way around a sharp corner to find a large black bear on the opposite bank. I stop briefly, contemplate taking a photo, but decided against it and backtrack....

After I clear a couple bends and am confident that I didn't pique its curiosity, I start fishing my way back to the truck. About halfway back I get my first strike. It's a strong fight and after about 10 seconds the fish goes airborne and I see my first steelhead, about 20 inches,...shaking the lure from its mouth. A short fight and not a monster fish, but enough for me to say their reputation for bending a rod is well earned.

The rest of the walk back is uneventful.

I decide to try further downstream and decide on a fairly crowded entry point, mainly because there is an open parking space. The current is much faster with several stretches of rapids. After working far upstream with no action I turn back around a hit some of the few places that weren't already occupied. I try a different technique and toss my spinner across the river, close the bail, and allow the current to sweep it down and across without a retrieval. On the first cast doing this I get a strike that literally pulls me a step forward. I see a large bright flash as the fish turns downstream and starts peeling drag. I can't even guess how long this fight lasted, but I ended up walking downstream a little to try to gain back what the fish had taken. I finally feel like I am winning the fight and get the fish close enough to get a decent look at it and it takes off downstream again and my line catches on a large rock. Goodbye fish.

The lake trout in my profile pic measured 30.5 inches. This fish might have had that one beat.

My first trip to the Brule did not include catching my first lake run fish. It did, however, give me a taste of what those waters have to offer. I didn't get to add a page to the Gitche-Gumee Stream Chronicles......THIS time.....

Edited by user Sunday, October 27, 2019 4:32:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2019 5:35:02 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hey man 0 for 2 ain't a bad day on the brule. So far this season I'm 2 for 4, but I started 0 for 2.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
KruddyTFB  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2019 1:37:06 PM(UTC)
KruddyTFB

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
Hey man 0 for 2 ain't a bad day on the brule. So far this season I'm 2 for 4, but I started 0 for 2.

Oh, I'm not complaining that I didn't catch one. Far from it. If anything it made me want to come back again sooner! Two more weekends left....I might need to make it happen.
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2019 9:12:30 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
0-2 isnt bad for the Brule at all man!
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
KruddyTFB  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2019 10:48:09 PM(UTC)
KruddyTFB

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
0-2 isnt bad for the Brule at all man!

I'm not complaining with 0-2. I know it could very easily have been 0-0. The "2" were more than enough to guarantee that I will be coming back.
rschmidt  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2019 11:25:35 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I was on the Brule 2x this weekend. Unfortunately, it was likely the only fishable migratory stream up north!

On Thursday I went 1/1 with an odd steelie to hand!

UserPostedImage

This 22" fish was oddly shaped. Sasquatch was convinced that it had been electroshocked as a juvenile and had its back broken.

On Sunday, I went 1/2 with an awesome 27" legal steelie!!

UserPostedImage

This fish was combat landed in shin deep muck. This fish had me confused. With no real obvious rainbow type side stripe, I thought it was a coho after an hour or so of walking and looking at him. Upon further review, the fish had full guts (salmon don't), white gums, and a full linear spotted square tail. Def a steelhead trout!

Friday and Saturday, Sasquatch and I had some marvelous hikes in generally unfishable water. Mother nature has scorned me thrice this lake run season. Maybe 1 more try in me before close!! Happy fishing!!!
Gurth  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2019 11:39:51 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 129 post(s)
That fish has pink down its lateral line and on its cheek.

Lighter sunglasses may be in order. Flapper

Nice fishies Ron!
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
rschmidt on 10/29/2019(UTC)
Colorado to MN  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2019 4:21:15 PM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Brule has been fishing well. A week and a half ago, landed 11 steelhead with 3 over 26", plus a very large king in two days of fishing. It's a fantastic fishery if you can stand the crowds!
rschmidt  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2019 4:28:17 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Ha, my colorblindness strikes again. Didn't care much because it was legal for either species. R
Life of Riley  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2019 6:14:51 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post
Ha, my colorblindness strikes again. Didn't care much because it was legal for either species. R

what does the color mean, and what species is it?