Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rschmidt  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2019 11:32:23 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Several folks have told me there is a rainbow type stripe on the face and body, but to be honest, I didn't see it. I am somewhat red green colorblind. The fish is a steel head - lake run rainbow. R
KruddyTFB  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2019 2:08:53 PM(UTC)
KruddyTFB

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Colorado to MN Go to Quoted Post
Brule has been fishing well. A week and a half ago, landed 11 steelhead with 3 over 26", plus a very large king in two days of fishing. It's a fantastic fishery if you can stand the crowds!

I haven't earned a trip like that, yet. Two strikes with an opportunity at a big one is more than enough to get me to come back. I'm hoping to make it for the last weekend of the season and ideally it'll be a two day trip....if I can find a room within an hour away (and get the wife to not get too upset about it.)
NBrevitz  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 9:06:08 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Brule has been fishing well. A week and a half ago, landed 11 steelhead with 3 over 26", plus a very large king in two days of fishing. It's a fantastic fishery if you can stand the crowds!

Did you sell your soul to the devil?!?!
Jesus... I have yet to land a legal Steelhead or a King on the Brule. I have a massive love/hate/hate relationship with that river and now I feel like a shit angler. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Helluva trip👍
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Colorado to MN  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:40:37 PM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The stars aligned on that trip. I'll be back up this weekend, but am humble enough to realize that success most likely won't be duplicated. Besides, the best steelhead is the next steelhead.

I haven't really posted on this forum, so I'm not sure your preferred method, but I caught all mine on the same egg fly pattern. I saw anglers have success with all methods, swinging, gear and nymphing. What it comes down to for me is identifying certain water that is overlooked by most anglers. For fly guys, leader design is important, mine are all hand tied with 3x terminal. I prefer the lightest line possible.
alvollmer  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 9:56:39 PM(UTC)
alvollmer

The stars aligned on that trip. I'll be back up this weekend, but am humble enough to realize that success most likely won't be duplicated. Besides, the best steelhead is the next steelhead.

I haven't really posted on this forum, so I'm not sure your preferred method, but I caught all mine on the same egg fly pattern. I saw anglers have success with all methods, swinging, gear and nymphing. What it comes down to for me is identifying certain water that is overlooked by most anglers. For fly guys, leader design is important, mine are all hand tied with 3x terminal. I prefer the lightest line possible.

What formula do you like to use for Brule? I've just started tying my own leaders for up there, and I'm hoping to find one that works well for indicator fishing the larger pools, and one for high-sticking through faster or smaller runs. For my first go at it I used a 4' 15lb Amnesia butt, 1' 12lb Maxima Ultrageen middle section and, 4' Rio 3x tippet material formula, but didn't have any luck hooking fish. I feel this is better suited for high-sticking, but would love any feedback.
Colorado to MN  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2019 1:23:42 AM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

I've tinkered with formulas over the years but I used two this season. Also, I don't really fish pools due to the crowds, but I'm sure the leader will fish fine.

18" 20lb Maxima chameleon (sometimes I use 20 feet of this because fly line is heavy and sags)
18" 15 lb Maxima chameleon
12" 12lb Maxima chameleon
10" 0x two tone Rio indicator (the most important part!!)
3-5' 3x fluoro

Tied to an unweighted fly! Just make opinion, and I know the euro crowd will scoff, but beadheads are terrible, especially with egg patterns. Nothing drops in nature like a beadheads. My egg patterns were literally tied with yarn from my mother's yarn collection.

Also, check out troutbitten. It's a great fly fishing. His posts on the mono rig are highly informative and easily adaptable for steelhead.

Message me got questions. Feel free to share your muskie spots for more steelhead tips.
thanks 1 user thanked Colorado to MN for this useful post.
alvollmer on 10/31/2019(UTC)
OTC_MN  
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 2, 2019 1:42:00 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I'll try to post some pics when I get them downloaded but I was up on the Brule earlier this week. Went 6 for 12 in two days of fishing. Also got dumped by a lake run brown that I'll be seeing every time I close my eyes for a while. It was a dandy.

4 of the 6 were caught fishing Euro style (tight line) the other two were on indicator rigs. Every fish was on an egg pattern, and I tried a *bunch* of other nymphs alongside the eggs. Talked to a lot of guys who were swinging streamers, and none of them were doing much. Water was in the low 40s. Guides were icing up most of the day Tuesday. Had planned on staying longer but my dog got hurt and I had to run home to deal with that. Good trip all in all though. I always figure if I'm batting .500 with steelhead I'm going ok... Was right on the money this trip.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
OTC_MN  
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 2, 2019 1:59:01 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I've tinkered with formulas over the years but I used two this season. Also, I don't really fish pools due to the crowds, but I'm sure the leader will fish fine.

18" 20lb Maxima chameleon (sometimes I use 20 feet of this because fly line is heavy and sags)
18" 15 lb Maxima chameleon
12" 12lb Maxima chameleon
10" 0x two tone Rio indicator (the most important part!!)
3-5' 3x fluoro

Tied to an unweighted fly! Just make opinion, and I know the euro crowd will scoff, but beadheads are terrible, especially with egg patterns. Nothing drops in nature like a beadheads. My egg patterns were literally tied with yarn from my mother's yarn collection.

Also, check out troutbitten. It's a great fly fishing. His posts on the mono rig are highly informative and easily adaptable for steelhead.

Message me got questions. Feel free to share your muskie spots for more steelhead tips.

Very very close to what I use to tight line, except I skip the 20# and use 9' of 14# green Sufix Siege. I have done the mono rig, but prefer Cortland Competition fly line, as I'd rather handle fly line in cold weather with wet hands or gloves on. Fishes basically identical to a pure mono rig.

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Colorado to MN  
#19 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2019 1:58:14 AM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Fishing is still good. I was blanked on Saturday, but today was 6 of 10 on the Brule. Plenty of nice size fish.
alvollmer  
#20 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2019 6:29:32 PM(UTC)
alvollmer

Thanks for the advice. Ya'll are in my awe. I haven't had a multi-fish day in a few years, so I'm looking for new tactics and opportunities. Fished Friday afternoon and Saturday morning but didn't get any hook ups. Wonder if the cool front shut em down at the end of last week. There was some brutal wind gusts on Saturday morning. Ended up spending most of my time swinging streamers, but again nothing.

Would love to make it back up there once more before season closes, but the forecast over the next 10 days has daytime highs only in the 20s. Really tough to stay motivated when the guides freeze up.