Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
big_river_bum  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2019 4:59:18 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
winter fishing has become my favorite

because its usually less than productive i find victories in the little things. finding a midge hatch. landing a decent fish at a bridge hole. seeing a big fish in the clear water.

just a great opportunity to be outside and enjoy the peacefulness of winter. drive around, listen to some tunes, catch a buzz, maybe wet a line...no pressure
Gurth  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2019 5:28:15 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 131 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post

just a great opportunity to be outside and enjoy the peacefulness of winter.

This part I agree with and to that end I will get out a few (several) times before March.

I'll just be pissy about not catching much. Flapper

Laugh
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
stan b  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2019 7:02:12 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I salute your summer efforts!
Bugs, weeds and competition.

I also salute your beautiful catches and of course what was BIG!
The memories!

I started my trout fishing thanks to a couple guys here.

I enjoy the winter fishing.

I took 1 last job (Indian Motorcycle sales, Mktg., events and Prez of the riders group) and missed 2 summers and last winter.
I did not get out one time!

I am now more retired than ever (15 hours a week) an I plan to make up for the lost time.

I was very fortunate with the fish I caught in the previous years outings.

Plus "Frank the Fish" who caught and released me on 5 separate occasions!😳

I'm coming back for more Frank!

More memories that is.😎

All the best,
Stan b

Edited by user Tuesday, November 19, 2019 1:40:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
EddieRivard  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:38:15 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 19 post(s)
My 2019 trout campaign was a very poor effort on my part mostly due to my overzealous pursuit of Musky. I did manage to get out for trout on the very last days of the catch and release season.

Here is a nice Brook Trout that I caught.

UserPostedImage

Here is a fine Brown Trout specimen that I tempted with a Parachute Adams.

UserPostedImage

Here is one of the 16 total Muskies I caught on the fly in 2019.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:38:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked EddieRivard for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 11/19/2019(UTC)
Colorado to MN  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 1:21:48 AM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The 2019 season was excellent. In four days on the Brule, ended up with 21 fish, and five fish meeting the 26" mark.

Eddie, that's a nice musky. If you're interested in trading musky tips for steelhead, give a holler.
madguy30  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:18:29 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
I'll go out in January and February without a doubt, but my enthusiasm for winter trout fishing wanes year over year. I don't mind the weather at all and am really never cold when I go out. The problem for me is that it really isn't all that productive most of the time.

Would rather deal with a slow winter bite than those freaking gnat swarms in the summer though.

I'm seeing myself evolve into a spring and fall trout fisherman - something I wouldn't have been able to fathom when I first got into Driftless trout fishing and was driven to go out no matter the weather, conditions or results.

So yes… March is when the best trout fishing begins as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah that makes sense.

I find it fascinating when I find fish in that cold of weather (Jan/Feb) though.

For me it's just a chance to basically get a hike in and see if there's a few fish around too.

April's probably my favorite time to trout fish...with the winter season it lines up perfectly to be done with trout when the warm water season opens as I agree about the summer gnats along with walking in the grass.
NBrevitz  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:28:07 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 58 post(s)
2019 was a pretty poor season for me from a results standpoint. I landed lots of decent fish, but everyone knows I’m a trophy Brook Trout freak, and that just didn’t happen this year. I lost 3 fish that were probably 17-18 inches, landed quite a few 14-15 inch fish, and caught 2 incidental 20 inch Browns I almost killed out of spite, but sadly no trophy WI Brookies to the net this year. Nothing went right it seemed. Maybe I just tried too hard.

I did have an insane 24 hours of fishing with Shebs in Canada this fall though. We landed 7 incidental Brookies from 17-21.5 inches, and both broke our PBs in terms of weight. I also got a big Chinook that left me well stocked for spawn bags. I’m gonna try to fish up there 3-4 times this year, at least I’m not looking for unicorns in terms of finding trophy Brookies.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
William Schlafer  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:12:46 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EddieRivard Go to Quoted Post
Here is one of the 16 total Muskies I caught on the fly in 2019.

UserPostedImage

Nice Muskie Eddie! Can't imagine what that feels like on the end of a fly rod. Looks like it has some battle scars too. Muskies are such magnificent beasts.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
NBrevitz  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:47:06 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I hate having to go through Imgur, but here are my 4 favorite fish from 2019. All in a 20 hour span up northLOL
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I did have an awesome day with Ron though, and saw some absolute pigs on a northern WI system that just wouldn't bite on those particular days. 2020 should still be a great season.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 11/20/2019(UTC)
Hoggies  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2019 2:27:58 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
-No trout for me yet (does MN town limits and winter C&R count as "this year"?). I only got out like a half-dozen times and most of those were during non optimal times of day and or stream conditions. I decided not to use the spinning stuff for trout until I got at least one on the fly rod.

-I think my best fish of the whole spring/summer/fall was a 9.5" bluegill on a pink squirrel.