Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Trouts  
#11 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2019 1:22:55 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I feel like my earlier post stating how Mike is an honest guy at Mend needs more detail and isn't giving him or the shop the credit they deserve. Here is one of several times I've watched him go above and beyond what I would expect a "normal" person to do.

I was in Mend one day buying a few tying supplies and someone came in looking for a specific rod they had noticed in the shop a few months earlier for their son's birthday present. It turns out that he had just sold the last one the day before and the next order of this rod would be in early next week in 3 days. He then asked when is your son's birthday? The person said his birthday is tomorrow and you could see the concern on his face he wasn't going to get the rod in time. Mike without any hesitation asked if they had a minute that he would call around and see if one of the other nearby shops had it in stock. Turns out one of them did and he started giving them directions to River Falls and had Lunds hold the rod for them until they arrived.

I hope this gives a little more detail when I say Mike is an honest guy. I don't think most businesses these days would take time out of a busy day to call a rival competitor and send money their way. Even if it was the right thing to do.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
thanks 1 user thanked Trouts for this useful post.
weiliwen on 12/1/2019(UTC)
Sides  
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 2:50:55 AM(UTC)
Sides

United States

The best way to learn is with a class in a fly shop. They will teach you on local patterns you will need. They will give you a good foundation. You can also learn a lot off of you tube. I have been tying for around 35 years and still take a class from time to time. There is always a new technique to learn.
Also go to fly shows, it is common to have a lot of demonstration tiers and few masters. Fly shops close to the shows will sometimes have classes with the masters. I have taken some of those classes over the years and you can learn a lot about how to use different materials in those classes. The one that I took that was the most interesting was with Shane Stalcup, before he passed away. He just traveled with a few materials and tied some wonderful flies.
madguy30  
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 6:14:37 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I recommend keeping it simple and using as few of materials as possible.

Fish eat things that simply look like food and you can save money and time keeping flies to one or two materials outside of thread and beads.

Also don't get caught up in the thread hype. One or two sizes/spools is enough.
MN Driftless  
#14 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 4:50:02 PM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Do not EVER buy a fly tying "kit" as most of the crap in there is stuff you'll never use.

Midwest tying for newbies - start with something that has a lot of room for error (creativity) like woolly buggers. Then go to smaller stuff like PT's or midges. Midges are small, but simple to tie. PT's have the basic design as just about every nymph you'll ever tie. Dries - start with a caddis and go from there.

Youtube is easily the best place to learn if you aren't going to take a formal class. I will say that when I started in the early 90's, having someone there to watch/help you tie was invaluable.