Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aikman  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 4:15:38 PM(UTC)
aikman

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've done well with these this summer. Anyone feel the flashback variety spooks fish sometimes?
Sponsor
MN Driftless  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 1:50:18 PM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I think it depends upon what your flashback looks like and water clarity. I'll fish flashier looking FBPT's in dirtier water and stick to darker, duller colors in cleaner water. The cool thing with all of the synthetics is that you have a myriad of choices when it comes to what you use for the backing. I use quite a bit of Uni-Mylar. It's double sided, so you have two colors to choose from with your wing case. I rarely, if ever, actually use PT fibers as the wing case. Most of the PT itself is actually very little PT. Even the tail. I often use wood duck fibers for that.
aikman  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:29:01 PM(UTC)
aikman

United States

I like the thinner more supple feathers too. Anything that can undulate a little. Just read an article how bead heads can flare fish. Especially pressured waters. I've only tied / used bead heads until now but I'm wondering if a more natural looking nymph with less flash would be better. Our guide last year at Tanneycomo said he never uses bead heads. Thoughts?
MN Driftless  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:34:37 PM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

I use both beaded/regular PT's. I fish more BHPT's as droppers on a tandem dry/dropper rig. There are a ton of companies that offer colored beads outside the traditional silver, copper, gold. Don't overlook those. Sometimes just a a subtle change in color (wing casing, color of wire, bead, etc.) can make a huge difference in your catch rates. I think you could make an argument that the bead is a "trigger" in some situations. I use it more for depth purposes.
aikman  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:55:42 PM(UTC)
aikman

United States

Good point, I've used a sharpie marker to dull my beads before. I've kind of been in a rut with just going with a the same set up Pink squirrel or rainbow warrior on top and PT or scud on bottom all bead heads. Next trip I want to try no bead heads just BWO emerger on top and small (20-22) zebra or WD40.
OTC_MN  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 6:59:30 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Well... First thought is that our fish really aren't that pressured to begin with. So I think when fish respond to something or not it's rarely pressure-related.

That said, I think in really clear, slick water (like winter holes for example, or low water in mid-summer) too much flash can freak them out. A good example is a blue poison tung, which is one of my favorite winter patterns when it's cloudy... But it doesn't work all that well on bright days. Even on jig flies that have a bead head I do have some patterns I carry that have either brown or matte black heads. They may still have a hotspot with a bright color, but minimal actual flashy stuff. I also know guys that swear fish are less put off by silver or copper beads than gold.

I will still say that presentation > pattern in any case though.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
aikman  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 7:10:34 PM(UTC)
aikman

United States

I wonder if the gold thing is true? I always tie my black zebra midges with a silver bead and my brown zebra midges with a copper bead. I don't know why, I just copy what i see in the shops I guess.
SquareEgg  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 4, 2019 9:08:03 PM(UTC)
SquareEgg

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
What sizes are you guys using for your PT's? This season I tied the majority of mine in size 10. That is almost comically large compared to the 16's and 18's I normally tied/fished. But I had way more success with the 10's.... Perhaps preference on the large slim body.
aikman  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 4, 2019 9:11:00 PM(UTC)
aikman

United States

16-18 for me
MN Driftless  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:43:32 AM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

12-18. The 12 is often the lead fly, whereas the 16-18 are trailers.

A #16 BHPT on a TMC2488 hook is a standard go to pattern for me.