Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Colorado to MN  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 7:21:16 PM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This forum has been pretty quiet. As winter swings into full intensity, I'm sure everyone has been plenty busy making future fishing plans, fly tying, cleaning gear, etc. I've started stocking fly boxes, but more important, I've begun my winter reading list with both new and old books. I'm always trying to challenge my fishing game, and improve in all aspects. I'll share my brief list and I'd love for others to share what they're reading, or give their own reviews. I have no bias for fly vs gear. Fishing is fishing and learning about the principles of water, trout behavior, etc is what's important.

Fly Fishing for Trout by Bob Trevis.
-I must admit, I read this last winter, but never really made it to the MN Driftless this year. Muskies, sigh. What are your thoughts on the book?

Modern Streamers II by Kelly Galloup:
-I've always found Kelly's youtube videos and books quite interesting. He has very definitive and opinionated thoughts about fly fishing, but is never afraid to challenge any assumptions. I know 20" is a good trout, but Kelly calls those fish "cute" and not that big. Anyone have experience chasing 24" + trout in Minnesota / Wisconsin (Lake run fish don't count)? What are your thoughts on streamers? Personally, I've caught all my biggest trout nymphing and think this is a much more consistent method for quantity and quality assuming you are targeting the water Kelly describes in the book.

Caddisflies by Gary Lafontaine:
A real classic that will humble anyone reading it. I think Gary is still right in that the caddis hatch is ignored in comparison to mayflys. I'm well aware of the April caddis hatch. But turn over any rock in any stream. I always find more caddis than mayflies. Caddis are always in the system, and recognizing their behavior and life stages is really helpful.

In the Kinni by Clarke Garry:
I've fished the Kinni enough to know it's way too crowded for me. However, the breakdown of insect life is fascinating. I moved scud patterns towards the front of my nymph box in place of mayfly style nymphs.

Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniel:
I've always hated euro nymphing but I think this year, I'll perhaps give it a try. (It's cheaper to buy split shot and drop-shot instead of buying beadheads). Regardless of method, Daniel's thoughts on leader design, and how little weight you actually need are thought provoking.

Fly Fishing the Yucatan by Nick Denbow:
I spent two weeks near Xcalak two winters ago. I love trout fishing, but, damn, walking the endless flats for bonefish and permit is incredible. I managed to catch my share of bones, and a single permit. I've dreamed of going back ever since.

Sponsor
aikman  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 9:17:32 PM(UTC)
aikman

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just ordered "All fishermen are liars" and "The Bug Book".
Pete  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 1:36:26 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Great post. I’m looking forward to what others say-that will give me some suggestions, as I haven’t put together much of a list yet.

In the original post, a nymphing book by George Daniel was mentioned. I can highly recommend his streamer book. The helpful information was almost overwhelming there was so much of it. And it was innovative, things that would never occur to a chuck-and-chance-it streamer fisherman. And it made me realize that I’ve got to get to east Tennessee.

If I’ve missed anything by Dave Hughes, this Winter would be a good time to get caught up. I think I’ve now read most of what’s out there about smallmouth, but there may be a Tim Holschlag book I need to find. Other than that, I want to see if there is anything out there about bull trout. Probably too specific-and esoteric-but I’ll see what I can find.

Anxious to see what everyone else is reading for the next 2-3 months.
OTC_MN  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 8:11:25 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Great topic. Thanks for the reminder that Modern Streamers II is out. I need to get it.

I'm going back in time and re-reading the Seasons series (Fisherman's Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall) from Roderick Haig-Brown, which spans 1951 to I think 1965-ish. Not really how-to stuff, but just beautiful writing.

Also plan to read Ed Engle's 'Trout Lessons.'

I seem to have re-acquired the steelhead bug, so I have a couple steelhead books to read, but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head.

As far as Euro nymphing books, I have both the George Daniel books, and they're good. I also really, really like Devin Olson's Tactical Fly Fishing. USeful stuff in there on how he breaks down streams regardless of whether you're fishing Euro style or otherwise.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
NBrevitz  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:45:14 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 58 post(s)
If any of you haven’t picked up Brook Trout by Nick Karas, I highly recommend it. Extremely informative and great reading.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Colorado to MN  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:27:10 AM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
If any of you haven’t picked up Brook Trout by Nick Karas, I highly recommend it. Extremely informative and great reading.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't spent much time chasing brookies here in the driftless and I'm still learning about all the fishing here. I'm looking to check out Dunn county this upcoming year. What are your thoughts on brookie fishing outside the core driftless area? I'm not looking for rivers, but most of what I've read about brookies focuses on the driftless.
Gurth  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 4, 2019 1:40:28 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 131 post(s)

Does it say nice things about brown trout?

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 4, 2019 4:15:04 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: Colorado to MN Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't spent much time chasing brookies here in the driftless and I'm still learning about all the fishing here. I'm looking to check out Dunn county this upcoming year. What are your thoughts on brookie fishing outside the core driftless area? I'm not looking for rivers, but most of what I've read about brookies focuses on the driftless.

From my experience, you’ll be hard pressed to find Driftless quality numbers outside of the core Driftless Area. It happens when everything comes together perfectly (Upper Brule), but even Nipigon area doesn’t have the numbers of a good Driftless stretch. That said, you’ll find bigger fish outside of the Driftless. The 3 biggest fish I saw last year were in a very boggy section of spring creek in NW WI. They were between 17-19 inches.

I’m a trophy guy, so I look for Brookie only systems that connect to coolwater streams with lots of food. Like tribs to the Chippewa😉 They’ll roam those systems until mid June or so, packing on weight. Once it gets warm, they head back into the Trib.

That’s not to say you can’t get into good numbers elsewhere. Langlade area has some fish factories. Far NE WI is a lot of fun. Central sands isn’t bad. Get out and fish! If it looks marginal, put on something big and fish it hard, you might bring out a toad.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
NBrevitz  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 4, 2019 4:26:12 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Does it say nice things about brown trout?

There’s nothing nice to say about Brown Trout 🤷🏼‍♂️

All kidding aside, it doesn’t talk a ton about Browns. Mostly talks about deforestation, how good a ton of systems used to be before they got fucked up, the usual. But it goes into extreme detail. The chapters on Rangley Lakes and Nipigon are both incredibly cool and incredibly sad. Actually, all of the featured water chapters in the states are incredibly sad. Makes me wanna go back in time and crack some skulls.
rschmidt  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 4, 2019 4:41:34 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 53 post(s)
If you haven't read it, do so!

Life and Death of the Great Lakes by Dan Egan - 2017.

People Suck!

R
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
NBrevitz on 12/4/2019(UTC)