Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OBP  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2019 7:30:46 PM(UTC)
OBP

I’ve only really fished the Viroqua area, which involved small creeks.

Are there any larger waterways in the driftless area to try my hand at trout spey? I just find spey casting enjoyable, even if it results in less catch rates.
Sponsor
Colorado to MN  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2019 9:24:32 PM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
It's possible. The better question is whether it's the best approach to put fish in the net. If that's what you're looking for, I'd say no. The rivers here aren't that big, even in the lower ends. There are bigger warmwater river all around the area in which those tactics would work better for bass and other fish, and the casting would be much more enjoyable

Edited by user Friday, December 6, 2019 9:25:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Colorado to MN for this useful post.
OBP on 12/7/2019(UTC)
Sides  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2019 9:45:30 PM(UTC)
Sides

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The majority of the streams in Driftless are small, 10 - 15 feet wide. Not very well suited to trout spey. There are some places where you could swing a streamer, but they are still on fairly small rivers and streams. There are rivers that you could have a lot of fun with a trout spey further north in Wisconsin or Michigan.
Look at the Namekagon River in Wisconsin or Muskegon River in Michigan. They are both larger rivers with trout, with decent access. There are other places to look at, those two are the first ones to come to mind. I spey fish the Muskegon myself for steelhead, and do catch a lot of browns and smaller rainbow trout there.
thanks 1 user thanked Sides for this useful post.
OBP on 12/7/2019(UTC)
AKinMN  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2019 3:46:44 AM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Go West. Actually just across the Mississippi to MN. Root River.
OTC_MN  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2019 3:29:58 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I think what you've heard so far is pretty sound. Not too practical on a lot of the smaller spring creeks, but some of the larger (large being relative) freestone streams in both MN and WI can have some opportunities. And Spey can be murder on smallies sometimes.

That said, you don't have to be casting 100 feet to fish Spey. It's more about technique and presentation than distance. One thing for sure too, knowing some Spey casting techniques can really come in handy, even on a little spring creek.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown