Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2019 6:40:19 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
About 20 years ago, I bought an 8 weight LTX. I wanted to upgrade from my entry level rod and had some gift cards from co-workers that made a Winston affordable. I thought it would be the only one I ever owned. And with the increase in quality of mid-range rods since then, that's probably even more true now: Redington, Echo, lots of other great rods out there that are far more affordable.

But I had a customer service experience that may cause me to seriously consider Winston again the next time I'm in need of a new rod. The fighting butt would occasionally become detached from the rod and it wasn't much of a problem to put it back on. But I never got around to making a real fix. Eventually the butt came off, I was unaware of it at that moment and never found it. The rod is still functional without it, but it's nice to have the increased leverage when fighting a big fish or casting big flies. I contacted Winston, explaining that it would not be under warranty because it was a lost part, not a broken one and that I would happily pay for whatever part(s) were needed. The lady who returned my call told me she had the parts I needed lying around. She was almost apologetic as she explained that they were not brand new but had been scavenged from demo and prototype rods; I didn't expect them to have new spare parts for a 20 year old rod, so I wasn't about to balk at the parts having been lightly used. When I asked how much it cost, I was told to forget about that, the parts would be on their way later that day. As if there products weren't great enough, they treat their customers very well too.
thanks 1 user thanked Pete for this useful post.
weiliwen on 12/13/2019(UTC)
Sponsor