Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trapper  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 27, 2019 12:33:16 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Opening day of C/R
Who's going?
Get Reel
Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 27, 2019 1:35:42 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 57 post(s)
As long as this weather pattern holds, I'm planning to. Not a fan of frozen reels, though, so it's definitely weather dependent.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
stan b  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 27, 2019 11:25:04 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I am planning on a trip to the area sat & sun.
Maybe see if Frank the Fish is home.

I'll have some Rocky Patels and maybe a tad bit of Elijah Craig.
Always willing to share.

Stan b

Edited by user Friday, December 27, 2019 6:38:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
thanks 1 user thanked stan b for this useful post.
NE IA Drifter on 12/29/2019(UTC)
Hoggies  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2019 6:07:46 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Depends on if I use up my spousal capital chasing ditch parrots and/or thunder chickens on the 31st.
Gurth  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2019 6:37:15 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 152 post(s)
I have a short window Saturday morning where I'll get out.

After that, it's unlikely that I'll get out again until the 18th.

Poor me... Sad

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
slayermikefishing on 1/1/2020(UTC)
madguy30  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2019 11:53:26 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Was planning on getting out for a bit Saturday but came down with some form of viral infection including but not limited to scratchy throat, fever, and an ear infection so may not make it.
Life of Riley  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2019 1:50:42 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I have been looking forward to the first! Does anyone have general conditions for flowing water in olmstead, goodhue, or winona counties? I'm worried that the section I intended to fish may be blown out after all the rain saturday. I'm gonna be doing a lot of scouting tomorrow.
MN Driftless  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2019 11:54:24 AM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
They are not blown out. Is it a bit on the stained side? In places,yes. Toss in a 20 degree day like today, and they will clear nicely by J-1.
weiliwen  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2019 3:59:07 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 46 post(s)
I will be in Crawford County Saturday, as I need to visit the house my brother just bought near Soldier's Grove. Sunday, I'll probably fish closer to Madison.

I'll get up to Vernon County a couple weeks later, depending on is winter finally arrives. I mowed my lawn the day after Christmas! It was 60 degrees here in Chicagoland that day and for several after.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Life of Riley  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2020 8:05:10 PM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Seems like not a lot of reports or activity. I got out with a buddy and to be honest I haven't fished in a very large geographical area, so we tried 3 spots, all of which I've never been to before. The first one was an easement and we got there around 11am. No one had been there so we got first crack. Fishing was slow, but 40 min. in I got the first fish, 13" brown on a #6 pm under a log that was laying across the river. Forty five mins. later with nothing to show I had a whopper absolutely gobble my same #6 gold blade/body with brown/orange fuzz dressed treble pm. I was just praying I could get him in and when I got lucky and my buddy slid the net under him he taped at 19 1/8 inches and a nice chubby one too. I had one more in the low teens fall off at my knees, and one other trout chase, break the surace, but not bite. We left and went to a different creek/easement and I caught a footlong brookie which was a nice surprise because I didn't even know they were there. The third and final spot of the day we pulled to a bridge and a fly guy was walking out. He told us he was nymphing and no bites, but that another guy was there earlier and he did really well on streamers. He also said it was his best stretch on the entire creek we were on. Last year he caught 4 20" fish there, throughout the course of the entire season. I'd heard all I needed to decide to fish sloppy 3rds. We got down to the water and wow! I was getting bit every other cast! I saw rings on the surface from trout feeding. I also had a few times with multiple fish following my lure. Most fish were 10-12" range, but I had one that looked around 15-16" follow and halfheartedly swipe at my lure. I was glad because my buddy hadn't caught any all day, and he got 2, and then hooked into a 3rd that was making big runs and pulling drag. I slipped the net under a 17-18" hen and it was all smiles. I think she might have been the final fish of the day. It was weird, but the fish just shut off like a lightbulb right near sunset. We figured we caught 8-10 fish in quick succession in our little flury. It was a fun trip all around.