Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 3:16:15 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 200 time(s) in 154 post(s)
Good stuff!

I mind fishing behind others. Often if they complain the fishing was slow, either they were too early (or too late) or were using a lure that Trout the aren't interested in. Show em something unusual or unexpected can often trigger bored or dis-interested Trout.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
stan b  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 11:26:05 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 19 post(s)
What a day.
An 8" Brown and a chub.

Better than sitting at home!
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
Life of Riley  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2020 4:58:17 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I took a buddy with new to trout fishing. Thankfully he caught one right away, it was his only fish of the day. We ended with 5 browns. We found one really neat bridge pool that was loaded with fish. The water was really clear and deep(couldn't see bottom) and slow current. We threw various rapalas and other jerkbaits and only landed one, but had many swipes, follows, etc. That pool was probably the highlight of the day. We went to another section that I believe has good numbers of big fish but is very silty and tough to wade. We tried to get permission but were unable. It was nice to be out and catch a few!!
Pete  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2020 4:55:20 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stan b Go to Quoted Post
What a day.
An 8" Brown and a chub.

Better than sitting at home!

No one has ever caught a fish from their couch while watching a football game. Good job getting out there!
thanks 1 user thanked Pete for this useful post.
stan b on 1/5/2020(UTC)
stan b  
#15 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2020 8:49:40 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 19 post(s)
So, my wife came along as well as Elvis the trout dog.

Water was high, fast and stained (muddy).
And the sun came out.

We ate cheeseburgers from Macs on the way home.

I don't know, pretty good day to me.
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
shebs  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 10:21:28 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Got out on both the 1st and the 4th, hoping for mild enough weather to fish another day this weekend.
Got skunked on the first, though I did hook into and lose an absolute pig. Fished a low numbers/big fish spot, so I knew it was a dice roll, was hoping to hit a 20" on day one haha but no luck.
Caught a few (maybe 20 between Ron and I) on the 4th, but nothing huge. ~14" brown and ~10" brook topped the day

For those of you who have been out...do water levels seem a little high for January?
Because it's official, 2019 was the wettest year on record for both WI and MN...so if seemed like the rain got in the way a lot last year, it wasn't your imagination.

2019 State Precipitation Ranks - from 1 (record driest) to 125 (record wettest)

Edited by user Wednesday, January 8, 2020 10:23:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 2 users thanked shebs for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 1/8/2020(UTC), weiliwen on 1/9/2020(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 11:38:55 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

It will be interesting to see how this spring plays out with wetter than normal conditions continuing into the new year. In general, well charged aquifers keeping Trout stream water temperatures well regulated are a good thing for fishing. SW Wisconsin / SE Minnesota residents could really use a break from flood conditions this year.

NCRFC Spring Hydrologic Outlook.

-Bill

Edited by user Wednesday, January 8, 2020 11:45:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added link

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
shebs  
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2020 1:02:42 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 54 post(s)
That is true - barring early spring flooding there should be a strong year class around the region. Just odd to see water levels this high in January.
Btw, that flood outlook is still from last spring, is it not? As an avid consumer of NWS products, I have that page bookmarked haha
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
William Schlafer  
#19 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2020 2:05:40 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post

Btw, that flood outlook is still from last spring, is it not? As an avid consumer of NWS products, I have that page bookmarked haha

Well damn. I didn't even look at the dates. Good catch Shebs. I just assumed that was the current forecast map for 2020. You would think they would have an updated one out by now.

I drove back to Milwaukee from Duluth over Christmas and it seemed like every river I could see was really flowing well and at what looked like higher levels than you would expect for this time of year. The Wisconsin River in particular.

-Bill

slayermikefishing  
#20 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2020 11:58:48 PM(UTC)
slayermikefishing

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)