Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
slayermikefishing  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 3:08:10 AM(UTC)
slayermikefishing

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I just bought the biggest pair of Simms G3's then took them to a tailor and had them replace the suspenders now they fit great I am 6'7" 260lbs and these are baggy with the new suspenders
Vilas15  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 3:00:41 AM(UTC)
Vilas15

United States

Update #2. Got the aforementioned Caddis deluxe pair and tried them on. Almost fit initially but I kept them on for a bit and realized they would not work for an entire day in the stream. Booties were accurate to their description which means probably 2 sizes too small for me, and the crotch was definitely too close for comfort even with the straps all the way extended. Otherwise they seemed very nice and I wish they had worked out.

Now going to flip the plan how I should have done it in the first place. Use cabelas gift card $ on some Korkers boots (size 14s) and search for some tall waders to fit 6'7" 200 lbs and a size 13 shoe. Will definitely check out the Patagonias after 2 recommendations.

So far seeing my options as follows:
Orvis has a Large/XLong size but in the ultralights that are $300.
Simms has a Large/Long +large bootie but only in the freestones which again are $300. Same size not available in the tributary or soul river waders (L/L with regular bootie). Maybe worth a call to see if they could just make one with a bigger foot.
Patagonia has Medium/Long (Large bootie) in the Rio gallegos which seem to be discontinued. Would prefer the Large/Long (Large bootie) but it's not available.
LL Bean Kennebec Large/Long are NOT an option based on the size chart.
Redington has some Large/Longs or Large + bigger bootie, not both options combined. Not looking good there.

Don't want to spend $300, would be happy at $200 but it's not looking good.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 18, 2020 4:39:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Vilas15 for this useful post.
slayermikefishing on 2/29/2020(UTC)
Vilas15  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2020 2:52:59 AM(UTC)
Vilas15

United States

Bit the bullet. Orvis ultralights in extra long are on the way. It was those or the simms freestones. Im a bit concerned about durability, but i won't likely fish them super hard and i take care of my gear.
thanks 1 user thanked Vilas15 for this useful post.
slayermikefishing on 2/29/2020(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#14 Posted : Saturday, February 29, 2020 5:26:57 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 159 post(s)
As a rule, you can't go wrong buying quality stuff.

I've had nothing but great customer service from Orvis over the years. I'm sure if you have any issues, they'll make it right. A gal pal went there to get outfitted with waders and boots. She had a problem with the fit on her boots after using them several times on stream, and they replaced them with a different model, no charge.

BTW; their Long-Sleeved Open Air Caster Fishing Shirt is one of the best on the market, IMHO. Even better if you can find a 20% off coupon.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Vilas15  
#15 Posted : Saturday, February 29, 2020 5:41:58 PM(UTC)
Vilas15

United States

Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
As a rule, you can't go wrong buying quality stuff.

I've had nothing but great customer service from Orvis over the years. I'm sure if you have any issues, they'll make it right. A gal pal went there to get outfitted with waders and boots. She had a problem with the fit on her boots after using them several times on stream, and they replaced them with a different model, no charge.

BTW; their Long-Sleeved Open Air Caster Fishing Shirt is one of the best on the market, IMHO. Even better if you can find a 20% off coupon.

-Bill

The store is along my daily commute which did factor into the choice. Makes it easy if i do have any issues. Nearest simms dealer is up in sauk city, still only a 20 min drive but a bit out of the way especially considering i may need to return anything that doesnt fit.