Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 3:04:23 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I looked at our long range weather forecast and if it's at all accurate, I won't be getting out on the ice anytime soon. So no bluegills and crappies for a fish fry. But what is available are some spring-fed streams within a short drive. I usually fish them for smallmouth and rock bass the rest of the year, but they hold suckers too. I have some accidental experience with suckers: their Spring runs out of Lake Michigan overlap with that of steelhead; I've caught suckers that way, while nymphing for steelhead, but as many are foul-hooked as eat the nymph. If I wanted to specifically target the suckers, any advice on how to go about it? I'd happily use live bait-maybe small worms or larvae-on a spinning rod. I'd think it would have to be on or near the bottom; does anyone have an effective rigging set-up? Actually targeting them is completely new to me; I'm all ears if anyone has experience with suckers (other than using them as bait for pike and muskies) and has advice on how to fish for them. Thanks.
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 6:14:51 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Interesting. Most people work hard NOT to catch suckers!
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 6:55:41 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 61 post(s)
There’s 10 inches of ice on most lakes in the Twin Cities, despite this very f*cked start to the winter. I’d hop on 90 and drive N and W until Petenwell or Castle Rock.

People will be driving by this weekend in the twin cities if this forecast is even remotely accurate.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."