Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OTC_MN  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 8:32:41 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Not a good story. 13k gallons is a heck of a lot of slurry an acre... Sound like it's not the first problem with this particular dairy either.

Hutton Creek Manure Spill and Fish Kill
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 9:15:22 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 45 post(s)
They'll probably get their wrist slapped, like so many times before.

Instead, the DNR should hire a truck to go to the farm on a daily basis to pick up the slurry and deliver it to a safe place for processing, then charge the farmer 150% of the cost for this, for a minimum of 5 years. Take it out of the farm's hands, don't allow them to screw up again.

Cow manure in a slurry form can be brewed to cook off the methane, which can then be bottled for use to heat water heaters, etc. The resulting manure will then be chemically "cool," and when dried (so it won't easily run off the fields) can be used to fertilize farmland without E Colli or other bacteria getting into the groundwater. It's actually better for the soil than raw manure.

I'm dreaming, I know.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2020 1:22:20 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 155 post(s)
You would think that operations like this would be required to have proper storage and remedial plans in place for properly dealing with manure runoff before they're even given permits to operate, just like any other factory - which is what they really are.

Any business that produces the amount of waste and threatens our water resources like CAFOs do deserve tight regulation and oversight and should be held fully responsible for damage they do. This is not unreasonable, or anti-business, just common sense.

Before you take your next drink of tap water read this.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2020 1:33:25 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 61 post(s)
Hutton has some nice Brookies. Few and far between, but very nice. Caught a 14 there once, I think I was more surprised than the fish.

I guess ‘had’ would now be the operative word, if they weren’t sitting in the Willow. Shit like this is getting ridiculous.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
Z4c64 on 1/11/2020(UTC)
Z4c64  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2020 3:57:31 PM(UTC)
Z4c64

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I know this is pretty radical, but if a CAFO is going to do something like this, I'd say give them one warning. After that, use Eminent Domain to condemn the property and have the state purchase it for a water protection area. That's about the only thing that will every get the attention of these people. Again, once, a big warning. Second time, it's over.
thanks 1 user thanked Z4c64 for this useful post.
weiliwen on 1/11/2020(UTC)