Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2020 9:27:11 PM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I'm just wondering if anyone is going to give it a go tomorrow. High around 24 degrees for most of the driftless is what I saw. I really want to go, but not sure if the fish will cooperate or not. I will report if I make it out.
Sponsor
madguy30  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 8:26:39 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Went out from basically 9-12. Was nicer than I thought it'd be. Wore a down coat underneath a hoodie and tucked into my waders and I was plenty warm.

A few fish around.
stan b  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 10:28:06 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Blue + Pink = Brown!👀
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
thanks 1 user thanked stan b for this useful post.
slayermikefishing on 1/20/2020(UTC)
Life of Riley  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 4:59:15 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I made it out to a mid size creek that I've only fished once before. Temps in Goodhue county were relatively cold until around noon. I had a half mile walk in to a place I've really been eyeing up for a while but haven't fished yet. A trout biologist told me there's some big ones back there. I made it to the river and although it was open, there was sheet ice in places and every once and a while pieces of ice floating down river. After fishing from shore for 10 min I pulled the plug and walked out. My plan was to drive a few other access points on the same creek, figuring that the farther upstream I got the stronger the spring influence would be and therefor less ice. The couple mid-section areas I drove by looked in better shape. When I got to the upper reaches I found just the opposite of my theory to be true, the creek was froze up very bad and unfishable. So I called it a day and drove home. I wish I knew a few streams with really strong springs that resist freeze-up better. Next time I'll either scout more, or wait for a little warmer day. I put the waders on but never got them wet.
thanks 1 user thanked Life of Riley for this useful post.
Hoggies  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 8:20:28 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
The whitewater watershed has a few.
thanks 1 user thanked Hoggies for this useful post.
NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 9:09:23 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 61 post(s)
I’ve found that unless you’re fishing something with very strong spring influence, a narrow channel, and high gradient, you’re much better off fishing the middle reaches in the winter. Headwater areas will at times have a relatively flat gradient, so even though you’ve got tons of spring influence, the stream will be so wide and slow that it freezes anyway.

Stuff like the middle of the Rush fishes great this time of year. I’d imagine the Whitewater does as well, but obviously those are the most heavily pressured fish in the state...

There’s a stream in the FAR SE corner I’d recommend you check out. It rhymes with West Cleaver. That fishes very well in the winter.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
madguy30  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 11:02:18 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
I’ve found that unless you’re fishing something with very strong spring influence, a narrow channel, and high gradient, you’re much better off fishing the middle reaches in the winter. Headwater areas will at times have a relatively flat gradient, so even though you’ve got tons of spring influence, the stream will be so wide and slow that it freezes anyway.

Stuff like the middle of the Rush fishes great this time of year. I’d imagine the Whitewater does as well, but obviously those are the most heavily pressured fish in the state...

There’s a stream in the FAR SE corner I’d recommend you check out. It rhymes with West Cleaver. That fishes very well in the winter.

I've found streams that have other smaller spring fed creeks entering throughout tend to at least be fishable. Constant flow of water at least and now that I think of it there tend to be more active fish around these areas...I'd assume because the temp is higher than the spots not being fed.
thanks 1 user thanked madguy30 for this useful post.
shebs  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 2:38:33 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 54 post(s)
I almost went out on Sunday, but decided it was about 5 degrees too cold to go out, and didn't like the idea of possibly driving home in the snow after getting skunked.
I sent you an email, though, I have some thoughts about your experience.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 1 user thanked shebs for this useful post.
rschmidt  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 12:31:57 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 56 post(s)
I was out on Sunday and it was pretty futile. Streams ranged from 34F to frozen. Skunked and only saw two fish. I should have listened to myself. When water is below 36F it is almost pointless to spin fish. Happy fishing!
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
slayermikefishing  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 9:31:23 AM(UTC)
slayermikefishing

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have been finding some streams in the 40's they are out there just have to find them even made a video of it Happy Fishing!