Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
slayermikefishing  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:46:56 PM(UTC)
slayermikefishing
Rank: Midge

Joined: 4/24/2019(UTC)
Posts: 10
Man
United States
Location: Ellsworth WI

Thanks: 31 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:10:54 PM(UTC)
weiliwen
Rank: Stone Fly

Joined: 4/16/2014(UTC)
Posts: 516
Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Thanks: 129 times
Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Good luck! Stuck at work myself. Even though I have some water close by, it's not close enough to get any fishing time in after work; not yet...
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
slayermikefishing on 1/22/2020(UTC)
slayermikefishing  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2020 11:34:53 PM(UTC)
slayermikefishing
Rank: Midge

Joined: 4/24/2019(UTC)
Posts: 10
Man
United States
Location: Ellsworth WI

Thanks: 31 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Ended up getting 3 browns the last one was a nicer one than the first 2 but all in all a good day also there was a hatch going on bugs were flying everywhere and all over the snow the birds were having a field day eating them off of everything hope you make it out
slayermikefishing  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:09:58 AM(UTC)
slayermikefishing
Rank: Midge

Joined: 4/24/2019(UTC)
Posts: 10
Man
United States
Location: Ellsworth WI

Thanks: 31 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Smis  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:16:05 PM(UTC)
Smis
Rank: Midge

Joined: 5/28/2018(UTC)
Posts: 41
United States
Location: Chicago

Thanks: 26 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I'm debating if I should fish tomorrow. Currently the forecast is calling for a little snow (nothing too concerning), but what I'm more concerned about are the temps. It will already be 32 degrees around 9am with a high around 34-37 degrees. Is this enough to cause a significant melt with overcast skies?

I made it out a couple times last year where there was a high around 36-37, but it was sunny and it probably didn't get above freezing until midday. The fishing was pretty solid but it definitely turned off around 2-3pm. I just don't want to go if there's already snowmelt turning the fish off by 10am.

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with these conditions.

Thanks

- Steve

Edited by user Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:17:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pete  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:51:40 PM(UTC)
Pete
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 6/30/2011(UTC)
Posts: 616
Location: Far west suburbs of Chicago

Thanks: 27 times
Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Smis Go to Quoted Post
I'm debating if I should fish tomorrow. Currently the forecast is calling for a little snow (nothing too concerning), but what I'm more concerned about are the temps. It will already be 32 degrees around 9am with a high around 34-37 degrees. Is this enough to cause a significant melt with overcast skies?

I made it out a couple times last year where there was a high around 36-37, but it was sunny and it probably didn't get above freezing until midday. The fishing was pretty solid but it definitely turned off around 2-3pm. I just don't want to go if there's already snowmelt turning the fish off by 10am.

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with these conditions.

Thanks

- Steve



On these short days, the forecast high often isn't reached until mid or late afternoon and then only for an hour or two. If you're going out in the morning, snow melt shouldn't be much of a problem then. It may not even be a problem late in the day, but morning through mid-day should be almost completely safe for avoiding 32 degree runoff entering the streams and killing the fishing.
Smis  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 10:11:50 PM(UTC)
Smis
Rank: Midge

Joined: 5/28/2018(UTC)
Posts: 41
United States
Location: Chicago

Thanks: 26 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pete Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Smis Go to Quoted Post
I'm debating if I should fish tomorrow. Currently the forecast is calling for a little snow (nothing too concerning), but what I'm more concerned about are the temps. It will already be 32 degrees around 9am with a high around 34-37 degrees. Is this enough to cause a significant melt with overcast skies?

I made it out a couple times last year where there was a high around 36-37, but it was sunny and it probably didn't get above freezing until midday. The fishing was pretty solid but it definitely turned off around 2-3pm. I just don't want to go if there's already snowmelt turning the fish off by 10am.

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with these conditions.

Thanks

- Steve



On these short days, the forecast high often isn't reached until mid or late afternoon and then only for an hour or two. If you're going out in the morning, snow melt shouldn't be much of a problem then. It may not even be a problem late in the day, but morning through mid-day should be almost completely safe for avoiding 32 degree runoff entering the streams and killing the fishing.


Yeah that was often my experience the last year and I'm totally okay with that. Tomorrow is kind of a weird day though. Instead of the temp going up and down in a big bell curve, the temps tomorrow are forecasted to be pretty flat where it's going to stay right around or just above freezing from 9am to 4pm. Basically, I'm unsure if 4-6 hours of 34 degrees is enough to cause significant snow melt with overcast skies.

Seven hours is a lot of driving to get skunked, but a 3-4 hour where I can actually catch fish could make it worth it.

Thanks
shebs  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 12:47:03 AM(UTC)
shebs
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 5/12/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1,078
Location: Mpls

Thanks: 18 times
Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 55 post(s)
It's really gonna depend on the exact temp in the valley you're fishing, to be honest. Without direct sun, it'll take at least couple hours of temps above freezing to start melting things...that's assuming it gets cold enough over night to re-freeze after today's warmth.

While not always the case, most local weather observations are taken on higher, flat ground (think, places where airports are, main highways with automated weather stations, known as ASOS/Automated Surface Observing Systems). Valley temps tend to be a few degrees colder, as cold air sinks into the valley overnight, and without direct sun, it takes longer to heat up. I've noticed this on the thermometer in my car even - 33 degrees at the top of the ridge, 26 at the bottom of the hill - 1/2 mile and 100 feet of elevation can make that much difference.

In short - the temperature is forecast to be 32 degrees by 9 am, but what exact location is that forecast referring to? My advice is to try to find a a personal weather station that's located in a valley bottom (I use WUnderground - use the WUndermap feature to find a local station at a lower elevation nearby), and then compare it to current temps at whatever 'official' station you're looking at. If it's a couple/few degrees colder, you can reasonably expect that your runoff would be slightly delayed.

As an optimist, I'd go for it, as long as temps tonight actually get cold enough to stop the current runoff. If it never goes below 32 tonight, you can bet tomorrow will be rough. If it freezes tonight, get there as early as possible and hope for the best. But then again, you won't catch anything at home on the couch, so what do you have to lose besides some gas money and maybe a couple flies? BigGrin

Edited by user Friday, January 24, 2020 12:49:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 2 users thanked shebs for this useful post.
Smis on 1/24/2020(UTC), Life of Riley on 1/24/2020(UTC)
Smis  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 1:22:45 AM(UTC)
Smis
Rank: Midge

Joined: 5/28/2018(UTC)
Posts: 41
United States
Location: Chicago

Thanks: 26 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
It's really gonna depend on the exact temp in the valley you're fishing, to be honest. Without direct sun, it'll take at least couple hours of temps above freezing to start melting things...that's assuming it gets cold enough over night to re-freeze after today's warmth.

While not always the case, most local weather observations are taken on higher, flat ground (think, places where airports are, main highways with automated weather stations, known as ASOS/Automated Surface Observing Systems). Valley temps tend to be a few degrees colder, as cold air sinks into the valley overnight, and without direct sun, it takes longer to heat up. I've noticed this on the thermometer in my car even - 33 degrees at the top of the ridge, 26 at the bottom of the hill - 1/2 mile and 100 feet of elevation can make that much difference.

In short - the temperature is forecast to be 32 degrees by 9 am, but what exact location is that forecast referring to? My advice is to try to find a a personal weather station that's located in a valley bottom (I use WUnderground - use the WUndermap feature to find a local station at a lower elevation nearby), and then compare it to current temps at whatever 'official' station you're looking at. If it's a couple/few degrees colder, you can reasonably expect that your runoff would be slightly delayed.

As an optimist, I'd go for it, as long as temps tonight actually get cold enough to stop the current runoff. If it never goes below 32 tonight, you can bet tomorrow will be rough. If it freezes tonight, get there as early as possible and hope for the best. But then again, you won't catch anything at home on the couch, so what do you have to lose besides some gas money and maybe a couple flies? BigGrin


Thanks Shebs! Great points and useful info. Luckily it will be freezing overnight and the updated forecast has freezing temps remaining late into the morning. I appreciate the confidence boost though. We’ll see what happens

I’ll try to give a report
shebs  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 2:15:34 AM(UTC)
shebs
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 5/12/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1,078
Location: Mpls

Thanks: 18 times
Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Winter fishing is a crap shoot, but when you win, it's friggin awesome. Always err on the side of giving it a shot.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 2 users thanked shebs for this useful post.
Life of Riley on 1/24/2020(UTC), stan b on 1/24/2020(UTC)
Users browsing this topic
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2020, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.591 seconds.