Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 2:34:46 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Also... if you can fish closer to where springs enter, water temps will be more consistent even through some slight melt.

I'm still on hard water but might give a stream a shot this weekend.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Smis  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 4:57:03 PM(UTC)
Smis

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It snowed more overnight than I was expecting. It was only an inch or so but enough to make a mess of things. Tried to park along the side of a fairly busy county rd. Got stuck. Felt like an idiot. Got towed out. Debated if I should still try to fish. I decided to pull onto a smaller less traveled rd that was only half plowed. I parked on the unplowed side because it was flatter. I kind of felt like an ass parking there though even though I appeared to be out of the way. I walked back to where I originally planned on fishing but felt really anxious about my car. I fished for about twenty minutes before I saw a local plow turn onto the road I was parked on. It disappeared from site but I heard it lay down its horn. That was enough for me. I felt like an ass trying to fish while others were trying to clean up. I called it quits knowing there was no way I would be able to relax and just enjoy my time on the river. Lesson learned and I’m just happy to be on my way home.
Gurth  
#13 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 5:04:43 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Are you still up here? Email me your cell and I can probably put you somewhere where u can park and fish.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
stan b  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 5:33:59 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
Winter fishing is a crap shoot, but when you win, it's friggin awesome. Always err on the side of giving it a shot.

This/\
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
Jumpsuit  
#15 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 10:37:13 PM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Finally made it out for the first time this year and am glad I did! Hit the road from Iowa City around 6 am and was fishing by 9 am. While I usually fish one rod and just blow through covering as much water as I can, today with the deeper snow and winter fishing just took my time on a 1/2 mile section of water. Had one rod rigged with a panther Martin and the other alternated between a 1/16 oz maribou jig and small rapala. Just slowly worked holes with different baits and different angles to pools while enjoying a cigar . Got 6 nice browns with the biggest being 14.5 and 15.5 . Nothing crazy but was grateful for fish in the net on a snowy winter morning ! Most fish just sucking in a Panther Martin, barely hitting it. Had a few fish hit Rapalas on the pause while slowly twitching it. Silver and white spinners were the best though with the clouds . Clear water and no stain.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage