Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2020 6:20:26 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I found a net last night that I think I found half buried several years ago camping or something. Should be good for trout and most game fish I get into

I decided I really should start carrying on to use help with a quicker release so I'm rigging it up.

So far I've just rigged up some polycord to work as a shoulder sling type thing and will just pull it over the shoulder if needed. Anyone else try this? I suppose I could get one of the coiled connections and just wrap that around a loop in my waders or hiking pants. I've just never had much luck with those types of contraptions for forceps etc.

Thanks for any input. Might take it for a test run this weekend so I can learn what not to do.

Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2020 6:59:27 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 46 post(s)
I got myself a decent net last year, and even a magnetic doohicky* to hold onto it, but for the life of me couldn't figure out how to make it work. Finally, I found a description that works great for me.

1 Take the magnet.
2 Zip tie one end to the end of the net opposite the handle.
3 Take the other end and attach it to the little deelybobber* on the back of your vest near the neck.
4 That way, the net hangs handle down.
5 take the lanyard/cord/whatever, attach one end to the handle of the net
6 Take the other end and attach it to the same deelybobber* on the back of your vest (some folks will attach this end to their belt buckle, but I have plenty of lanyard length to hang from my back).

Now, you have the net situated so that you can easily reach back and grab by the handle. A good tug will release the net and you're ready to scoop up that 20"er. if you drop the net, it's still attached to the lanyard, so you won't lose it. When you've released said beast back to the briny deep and rinsed off the net, you just swing the net up, and 7 times out of 8 the magnet attached to the net will find its soulmate on your upper back, and you're ready for the next cast.

(* are highly specialized technical terms)

Edited by user Tuesday, January 28, 2020 7:00:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
NBrevitz on 1/29/2020(UTC)
rschmidt  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2020 3:41:42 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 56 post(s)
I have been working with a magnet release this season, after years of just bungee cording the net to my vest. I came across a 12# magnet made by SF that should be best. The magnetic holder does keep the net clear when wading through brush. The original freestone magnets are too week and the net falls easily when in brush or doing a jump. Jury is still out. Kinda miss the old bungee rig as I was so used to it, but I hated going through brush with it. Get the stronger magnets and attach it at the hoop end, not at the handle, so you have the handle in an easy grab spot. Happy fishing! If you are using small net (I use a large 13"x 18" frabil ghost net), the freestones will work with something smaller and I'd ship it to ya for shipping cost.
Mark Dahlquist  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2020 8:43:24 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 24 post(s)
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Mark Dahlquist for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 2/1/2020(UTC)
big_river_bum  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2020 11:40:14 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
i used to use the magnet with a bungee or some paracord, but was a hassle constantly getting hung up in the bush. actually lost a few magnets this way because the cord would get stuck and rip the d-rings off my pack or the keychain ring off the magnet

now i just use the magnet. use a cheap net that i don't care if i lose it. my favorite are the ones that guy makes on elk creek. bob something? they're deep netted and have a clip and bungee cord inside the handle. 10 bucks at many of the amish stores

but usually i don't use a net
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2020 12:54:18 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 152 post(s)
I don't wear a vest and generally don’t want things hanging around my neck or shoulders.

In addition, as someone who runs hotter than most, no way can I have anything extra on my back once it gets warmer out when I'm wearing a cutoff T to keep from sweating out.

I've posted this here before, my setup:

UserPostedImage

I bought a police utility belt off eBay and I bought the retractable cord thingy from Orvis.

Net is out of the way but right near my free hand and cannot be torn off by brush although it does get hung up on occasion.

Pretty much always have a net with me now because it's no hassle at all.

Mostly carry it for recovery when it's a fish that I want a photo of. Can give them a good long chance to get their breath and easily grab a shot and then off they go.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 29, 2020 12:55:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
madguy30  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2020 1:49:35 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post
I have been working with a magnet release this season, after years of just bungee cording the net to my vest. I came across a 12# magnet made by SF that should be best. The magnetic holder does keep the net clear when wading through brush. The original freestone magnets are too week and the net falls easily when in brush or doing a jump. Jury is still out. Kinda miss the old bungee rig as I was so used to it, but I hated going through brush with it. Get the stronger magnets and attach it at the hoop end, not at the handle, so you have the handle in an easy grab spot. Happy fishing! If you are using small net (I use a large 13"x 18" frabil ghost net), the freestones will work with something smaller and I'd ship it to ya for shipping cost.

Thanks for the info. I like the bungee idea for now....what was that set up like? (I'll look on the googles but getting personal perspective is also helpful).

It's a small net although the webbing/netting itself is pretty deep actually.

Speaking of webbing, I might look into getting rubber netting to replace. Looks more durable? And the current net's netting is likely pretty old.
Hoggies  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2020 10:28:05 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I use the magnet. It works ok. My bro in law uses a long handled fishpond net and he got a hodgman wading belt with a net holster in the small of the back. It's pretty slick but it needs at least 12" of handle for the net to stay put.
madguy30  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 12:34:53 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Originally Posted by: Mark Dahlquist Go to Quoted Post

This might be an idea...I don't wear a vest but perhaps could attach it to a waist loop.
madguy30  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 12:37:26 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
I don't wear a vest and generally don’t want things hanging around my neck or shoulders.

In addition, as someone who runs hotter than most, no way can I have anything extra on my back once it gets warmer out when I'm wearing a cutoff T to keep from sweating out.

I've posted this here before, my setup:

UserPostedImage

I bought a police utility belt off eBay and I bought the retractable cord thingy from Orvis.

Net is out of the way but right near my free hand and cannot be torn off by brush although it does get hung up on occasion.

Pretty much always have a net with me now because it's no hassle at all.

Mostly carry it for recovery when it's a fish that I want a photo of. Can give them a good long chance to get their breath and easily grab a shot and then off they go.

Thanks! I have a couple of wading belts around that might serve a purpose....