Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 7:00:01 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I'm just wondering if anyone on here has ever tried a streamer on a spin pole? I was just watching some u toobs where a guy was doing this and having good luck.
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 1:14:01 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I've only trolled streamers in lakes with a spinning rod, but there's no reason you couldn't use one on a stream, if the streamer has enough weight to pull it and the line off of the reel.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 4:56:44 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Yep, I’ve used Frick’s Fixes to great success on a spinning rod. Other streamers like Pass Lakes as well, but those need some weight to be casted at all.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
madguy30  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 5:17:03 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
There's a guy who puts out videos labeled with 'Coppersmith' fishing or something from Wisconsin that fishes nymphs with a spinning rod and has a tutorial about it on Youtube.
Colorado to MN  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 5:54:10 PM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sure, you can do anything. But effectiveness is what's more important. Can you effectively dead drift or jerk strip a steamer on a shorter rod? I don't know, but I do know having a longer fly rod offers greater control.

I can't see how it would be more effective than spinners, which are not only easy to use but impart hertz wavelengths similar to what a distressed fish would make.
thanks 1 user thanked Colorado to MN for this useful post.
weiliwen on 1/30/2020(UTC)
weiliwen  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 8:44:28 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Colorado to MN Go to Quoted Post
Sure, you can do anything. But effectiveness is what's more important. Can you effectively dead drift or jerk strip a steamer on a shorter rod? I don't know, but I do know having a longer fly rod offers greater control.

I used to live by an urban lake; every afternoon, I'd see an old man fish for crappie there, using a fly rod with a spinning reel on the end. Strange looking, but I couldn't argue with his results. He didn't use it to cast long distances, but more to reach around brush on the sides of the lake. He routinely caught more and bigger crappie than anybody else on the lake (and tossed them all back).

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 9:19:58 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Colorado to MN Go to Quoted Post

I can't see how it would be more effective than spinners, which are not only easy to use but impart hertz wavelengths similar to what a distressed fish would make.

I’ve personally had days where fish would not eat spinners, but a Fix just set them off. A Fix is basically a jig, but still...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
billybigbilly  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 4:48:21 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
How would one fish the jig or streamer? I have tried but never had much luck bouncing on the bottom without getting hangups.
Gurth  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 5:03:50 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 142 post(s)
I’ve been trying swim baits to some degree of success. They do get hung up tho and I’ve lost a few.

I always have 2 rods with me so when one is equipped with a swimbait, the other will have a Rap or PM.

That way I can use the swimbait where it’s least likely to get hung up and the others in more gnarly spots.

Edited by user Friday, January 31, 2020 5:04:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
billybigbilly on 1/31/2020(UTC)
billybigbilly  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 5:08:57 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
I’ve been trying swim baits to some degree of success. They do get hung up tho and I’ve lost a few.

I always have 2 rods with me so when one is equipped with a swimbait, the other will have a Rap or PM.

That way I can use the swimbait where it’s least likely to get hung up and the others in more gnarly spots.

How do you carry the extra pole with you?