Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kinni  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 5:26:52 PM(UTC)
kinni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I used to live by an urban lake; every afternoon, I'd see an old man fish for crappie there, using a fly rod with a spinning reel on the end. Strange looking, but I couldn't argue with his results. He didn't use it to cast long distances, but more to reach around brush on the sides of the lake. He routinely caught more and bigger crappie than anybody else on the lake (and tossed them all back).

I ran into a guy on the Brule with a rig like that too. He was having better success than I was with my fly rod and floating line...
NBrevitz  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 5:46:01 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Originally Posted by: billybigbilly Go to Quoted Post
How would one fish the jig or streamer? I have tried but never had much luck bouncing on the bottom without getting hangups.

The biggest mistake I used to make with Jigs is that I’d always fish them the way you would for Smallmouth and Walleye, crawling them along the bottom. I’ve found the best way to fish jigs is to use a swim bait retrieve with an occasional twitch. That’s become my go to when fishing big water for giant Brookies, and it just kills Coho Salmon as well. I don’t really target Browns, but I’m sure they would react similarly.

Spinners are still my go-to because you can fish them in any water, but I’m all about countdowns and jigs when the fish are off. Fish just don’t want blades some days.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
billybigbilly on 1/31/2020(UTC)
mmalyuk  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2020 1:31:55 AM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I commonly throw jigs during cold weather months with success. You will get hung up frequently but I use 20 power pro with a Palomar knot(you can pull trees with this stuff) and loose a few but not that many. I tie my own and would recommend it. You can pick your weight, size, hook, colors, material, etc to your own liking. Sometimes they don't want to chase a spinner or rap but a jig right in their face is hard to turn down.
Hoggies  
#14 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2020 12:00:31 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Gunnar Brammer did a few videos on jigs. The first one:

https://m.youtube.com/wa...v=ESDx1Gy92fQ&t=631s
thanks 1 user thanked Hoggies for this useful post.
Life of Riley on 2/9/2020(UTC)