Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 7:14:45 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 9 post(s)
A buddy took me to some spots he's fished before in the whitewater system last week. We caught a mix of trout, and my buddy noticed that a nice rainbow he caught didn't have a clipped adipose fin. Do they clip these on stockers in MN or not? We were wondering if this was a stocked fish or not.
Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 11:37:14 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Life of Riley Go to Quoted Post
A buddy took me to some spots he's fished before in the whitewater system last week. We caught a mix of trout, and my buddy noticed that a nice rainbow he caught didn't have a clipped adipose fin. Do they clip these on stockers in MN or not? We were wondering if this was a stocked fish or not.

Only Lake Superior rainbows are clipped.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Life of Riley  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 7:20:29 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Thanks. My buddy grew up on the north shore, so this is probably why he noticed that the bows in whitewater were not clipped. I will let him know next time I talk to him. Do they stock rainbows in Superior on the MN side anymore, or has that been permanently suspended?
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 10:20:01 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Thanks. My buddy grew up on the north shore, so this is probably why he noticed that the bows in whitewater were not clipped. I will let him know next time I talk to him. Do they stock rainbows in Superior on the MN side anymore, or has that been permanently suspended?

They stock fingerlings in a few of the bigger rivers on a rotational basis. They pull fish out of the Lester and Knife I’m pretty sure, then strip them of eggs and milt before turning them loose. It creates a much better hatchery program. Very similar to the Feral Brook Trout stocking program in SW WI.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
AKinMN  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 2:05:42 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post

They stock fingerlings in a few of the bigger rivers on a rotational basis. They pull fish out of the Lester and Knife I’m pretty sure, then strip them of eggs and milt before turning them loose. It creates a much better hatchery program. Very similar to the Feral Brook Trout stocking program in SW WI.

Interesting. I didn't realize they did that on the north shore. I assumed that when they stopped the looper program and shut down the hatchery that stocking those stream stopped.

NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 5:26:22 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AKinMN Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post

Interesting. I didn't realize they did that on the north shore. I assumed that when they stopped the looper program and shut down the hatchery that stocking those stream stopped.

It’s an entirely different program actually. And I didn’t know until a year or two ago myself.

I think they stock Baptism, Cross, Temperance, and a few others on a rotational basis.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
MN Driftless  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2020 1:44:37 PM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
To answer the question of stocked or not in WW - definitely stocked. Rainbows do not naturally reproduce in the wild of southeast MN. The DNR has, at times, stocked fingerling rainbows instead of the hefty rainbows you'll find in the WW.