Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2020 4:06:34 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Has anybody here used the Panther Martin Minifly spinners? Maybe not, they are small, size "0M," and I know a lot of you guys like tossing bigger ones than that.

Panther Martin Minifly Spinners (YouTube)

Link to Catalogue
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2020 6:42:07 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 152 post(s)
I'm trying to catch bigger fish, not smaller.

Flapper

Not sure what those would be good for and they'd be very tough to cast and would ride right at the surface coz they're so light.

To answer your actual question, no I have not.

I have 40 or 50 size 4s that will likely never be used again.

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Colorado to MN  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2020 7:19:07 PM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I have the question for the spinner crowd. When fly fishing with streamers, many times the biggest steamer is not the most effective. I've caught a lot of bigger trout on quite small, single hook streamers.

How much does spinner size impact big trout? Can smaller spinners be more effective?
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2020 7:42:07 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

I don't believe it matters in a general sense but it could very possibly matter on a fish by fish, day to day basis.

I've caught two of my biggest browns on "small" spinners.

Got a 23 inch hen on a #6 PM and a 24" male on a #9 PM.

I've caught 12 inch browns on a 4 inch Shadow Rap and also caught my largest ever (25.5") on that same lure.

The 25.5 did not take a PM that I threw in his corner a few times first. He hit the Rap on the first cast.

Anecdotal of course as maybe the PMs got his attention and then he hit the Rap.

I had tangled two previous times with him over a month's span though and he only ever hit on a Rap.

I've had little trout hit big lures and caught many an 18+ on size 2 and 4 PMs.

Had a week last fall where I couldn't buy a hit on a spinner and only caught them on Raps.

The next week I only got them on PMs.

This was all on the same system.

I always carry two rods when fishing for bigs so I can cast each spot with both and sometimes even switch to a swim bait or soft plastic tail.

I think it's more up to the individual fish on that day than it is what I'm presenting.

For me, I believe that being out a lot is the key.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that I am good at this - it’s not just dumb luck.

Time on the water though gives me the opportunities needed to present to these fish enough to put something in front of them that they want in that moment.

Right place right time happens a lot more often the more you are out.

Edited by user Thursday, February 6, 2020 10:07:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
stan b on 2/7/2020(UTC)
weiliwen  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2020 9:55:49 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

I'll agree with that! Time on the water is everything. Way back when I lived in Oregon, I started salmon fishing on coastal streams each fall. My success rate went up with each year, from catching one or two in a season to catching one or two a day. During that whole time I spent every weekend from mid-August to mid-November on the water, and took my 2-week vacation during that time to boot. I also scouted the river during the dog days of summer at low tide (I fished in tidewater, up 5 miles from the bay but still affected) to see where holes and channels were, in between fishing those same areas for sea run cutthroat.

I had to start all over here in the Driftless. It's a totally different ballgame. Freestone vs spring creeks. cutthroat vs browns and brookies (behavior is different, for sure). Spring spawners vs fall spawners. Etc. 60% is the same, but wow, that 40%.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2020 11:18:35 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Colorado to MN Go to Quoted Post
I have the question for the spinner crowd. When fly fishing with streamers, many times the biggest steamer is not the most effective. I've caught a lot of bigger trout on quite small, single hook streamers.

How much does spinner size impact big trout? Can smaller spinners be more effective?

If you’re talking active fish with water temps in the upper 40s and above, the biggest thing for me is keeping small fish away. I primarily Brookie fish, so even on low numbers streams, there’s a healthy amount of small fish around. I don’t want them to spook a big fish when they get hooked. A bigger blade reduces your number of small fish.

Also, a bigger blade will oftentimes get a big fish that’s not all that active to swing anyway, as it’s a meal worth their time.

The biggest advantage with big spinners is you run deeper without having to just crawl the thing. I only run 4s and under during winter really.

#9 and #15 PMs are basically all I throw these days in the summer, besides some jigs and raps. Raps are great on neutral and negative fish.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
rschmidt  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2020 12:31:49 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Bigger trout will hit a small spinner. The problem with smaller spinners is how they affect presentation. You will not be able to put a small spinner where most of the big trout are - on the bottom in holes, cuts and timber. A 1/2 oz. spinner will hit the bottom in a about 1 second. A 0,2 or 4 less than 1/4oz. spinner will take several seconds and will not drop where u intend place them. The larger spinners are also way more manageable for casting and retrieve. The bigger blades bounce off snag type stuff and are pinpoint accurate. That being said, my method in winter is start with 4s and go up or down depending on the bite or lack thereof. By March, I will be on to size 15 and 18 1/2oz. and 1/2oz. plus models. Happy fishing, break out the spin rod!
weiliwen  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2020 1:35:57 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Let's switch this around a bit - if PM offered their product with flies on the back in the larger sizes, do you think it might improve the fishing? Do any of you who build your own spinners put flies in back? I guess the Mepps squirrel-tail Aglia is what they're going for.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2020 3:01:18 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
Let's switch this around a bit - if PM offered their product with flies on the back in the larger sizes, do you think it might improve the fishing? Do any of you who build your own spinners put flies in back? I guess the Mepps squirrel-tail Aglia is what they're going for.

It's funny that PM keeps coming out with new gimmicks as their basic spinners are still the most broadly effective trout lure that I've ever used.

But since you asked...

I've posted these before:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I have maybe 20 more different combos of colors and streamer types and sizes. They mostly sit in the garage.

At the time I made these – before Mepps came out with theirs btw - I had wanted to find a way to use a streamer on a spin rod and wanted to have a trout lure that looked a little meatier.

It was a worthwhile exercise, but I haven't fount them to be more effective than just a straight spinner and it's likely they are actually less so.

I think what makes a streamer appealing is the action that can be put on it with the strip retrieve and then even letting it dead drift.

You really can't do that with a weighted spinner on the front end.

I find I can create a better streamer type action (on my spin setup) with a Rap or a paddle tail/twister tail. Jigs would be good too although I have yet to gain confidence in them enough to use them much.

These however are larger versions that I created for pike/musky fishing and they have worked pretty well.

UserPostedImage

The same setup with a weedless hook for a plastic tail has been even more effective and will also catch bass and walleye.

UserPostedImage

PM makes them but they only come in gold or silver. I build my own (not pictured) by replacing the treble hook so that I can have other colors.

Pike hammer these.

Edited by user Friday, February 7, 2020 3:44:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

big_river_bum  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 1:15:16 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
anyone ever throw buzzbaits for trout?
thanks 1 user thanked big_river_bum for this useful post.
Life of Riley on 2/9/2020(UTC)