Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aikman  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2020 5:17:32 PM(UTC)
aikman

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Headed up to Lutsen in a couple weeks. Any fly fishing to be had up around there this soon?
Sponsor
Colorado to MN  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2020 5:22:45 PM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
It all depends on the weather and melt. The magic number is 40 degrees. Once the streams hit that temp, steelhead start to run. I'd check out Minnesota Steelheader. They have detailed information which will point you in the right direction. I'd think the lower shore would be your best bet.
thanks 1 user thanked Colorado to MN for this useful post.
aikman on 2/28/2020(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2020 10:31:58 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 66 post(s)
If this weather forecast holds (I pray to all hell it doesn’t, I want more snow and ice fishing), the rivers will just start to get loose. So no, no real fly fishing in those rivers, they freeze up very hard and it takes a while for the thaw to commence and quite a while to finish.

Most years, Steel aren’t in the rivers until April. The earliest I’ve ever caught a fish was March 26th and that was a record early spring.

I’d rent a sled and burn some powder, and maybe do some casting at rivermouths for Steelhead. They won’t be in the rivers in any number and the rivers will be frozen or ice floe anyway.

You could also ice fish one of dozens of Trout lakes up there. Some of the lakes have some very large Brookies. Greenwood Lake has natural Brookies and lots of Lakers if you want to drive a bit.

Even in record early springs, Brookie fishing in streams doesn’t really get going up there until early May. Early June is prime time basically every year. Lutsen area is about where I start fishing.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."