Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 3:27:37 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 46 post(s)
I am sure that some brown trout (and I assume not brook trout, but could be wrong) in watersheds that drain into the Mississippi have trout that fall into the Miss at times, then run back up into their natal streams at other times. I'm not looking to know where, just if it happens, like lake-run browns and brookies on the other side of the state.Has anybody here caught browns in the Mississippi? Does anybody know of any studies on the issue?
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 3:41:32 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 152 post(s)
I believe that LoR reported getting a big brown on the Miss.

A friend has gotten a brookie through the ice on a Lake Wisconsin slough/bay.

In addition, a brown was shocked in a Wisco river connected brookie stream and that stream has never been stocked even for brookies. So it's likely that the brown swam across lake Wisconsin to this stream.

That brown must agree that brookies are the best tasting trout. Flapper

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 8:15:17 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Brookies absolutely migrate. A lot of the big Brookies that I target in the summer are wintering in the lower Tremp right now.

They’ve actually looked at Coasters, and determined that there isn’t a genetic difference with stream fish. It’s just an inherent behavior.

A lot of my bigger Brookies have been caught in systems that drain into warmwater streams and impoundments.

The Susquehanna in PA used to have huge fish, pre-Industrial Revolution, that would spend winter and spring in the main stem, then migrate back into feeders when the main stem got too warm. Fish up into the 20s on occasion, well south of most watersheds with fish that big.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Life of Riley  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2020 5:11:37 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I've actually caught two brown trout in the Mississippi River, both on pool 4. The one I posted about on here was up around everts resort and caught on the opposite side of the channel of the mouth of the trimbelle, so maybe he swam out of there, or could have been hay creek or even come down out of the cannon river system and its feeder streams. That one was a big beauty 23" male I got while walleye fishing after dark in December. When we first saw him in the beam of the headlamp we thought it was a smallmouth. It is not uncommon to catch a big trout in the area below the dam, I usually see 2 or 3 pictures a year of other trout caught in this general area. Of course with the spring walleye run there are a ton of guys fishing that area every year, one of the most popular spots in the entire midwest. The other brown I caught was right by Reads Landing at the bottom of Pepin during the first week of may. I was throwing a jerkbait for smallies and had a really nice brown on. At the time I thought it was a rainbow because I didn't know much about trout, but it was just a brown that was in a really silver color phase. I tried to grab her 3 or 4 times because I didn't have a net, and she eventually pulled free at boatside (I almost got hooks in my hand a few times). I'm guessing that fish was 20-22" long. I've looked at the map and there isn't much for trout streams in that area. One small stream that's only a trickle called brewery creek, and then a few coulees up the way like maple springs, etc. Maybe that fish swam down from a stream that dumps into the Chippewa which is right across the river. The movements of these fish is always something I've been very curious about, and impressed with! I talked to a DNR trout biologist about it who has done a bunch of electro-fishing surveys and some telemetry work. We were discussing a mid-sized system in the Minnesota driftless, and he told me that one fish moved 10 miles to spawn! Pretty impressive, although I'm sure sea trout, lake-run fish, etc. often make much longer movements.
weiliwen  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2020 1:18:22 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Thanks! I really think that some monsters must swim down to the Mississippi at times - you'd think that there would be good food sources for big fish there, at least until the summer temperatures forced them back up into the streams. I posted about a couple browns caught on adjacent drainages on the same day, and one of them was silvery like you mention - that's what spurred my question. Sounds like a low probability game to target them, though. It makes you wonder if big brookies went into the Miss 200 years ago.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2020 2:05:13 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Yeah can't think they'd be worth trying to target other than right at the confluence of a trout stream. That would probably be worth a shot coz you'd likely find every other species too.

I have zero doubt that a brook trout drops into the Mississippi every once in a while during colder months. Why wouldn't they?
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net