Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2020 2:30:26 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Seems like everyone uses braid these days. I’m all about straight fluoro or fluoro coated. Less stretch than mono, more abrasion resistance, great castability... Only downside is you can’t use clinch knots, but that’s ok. The palomar knot is better than any variation of the clinch, and I’ll say that until the day I die.

Fluoro has the great benefit of abrasion resistance and increased sensitivity. This is due to it being very dense. This also causes an increase in memory and brittleness. As a whole it has weaker knot strength. You can still get a good knot out of it, it's just more touchy. The fact that it turns into a slinky so quickly and casts worse than mono or braid isn't a plus either. If there is ever a kink put in it the line will snap very easily. Also it stretches without returning to its original form. This wouldn't happen during a fish catch as much as pulling a lure snagged up. Mono stretches of course but is elastic. I don't see the benefit of the sensitivity when fishing moving baits, which it seems like most trout fishing is. Now jigging for bass or walleye it's a huge plus because the strike can still be detected, even on a slack line. Of course line selection always comes down to the individual angler. This was an interesting survey.